Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fort De Soto, Shell Key

Two dolphins.  Moments after both leaped out of the water.   Part of a larger pod.  Details, later.

View from outside my door, 8:20 am,  What do you expect for 50 bucks?
 Walk down the corridor a bit for the Gulf view. Shrouded in fog.







Wearing Packer sweatshirt against the morning chill,  I had nice chats with folks from Madison and Whitefish       Bay. And, Bethlehem, PA.

The Sirata is big. Three photos to get it all in.

Nice grounds



My room.  I had breakfast of half a Publix sub, put the other half in the cooler for lunch. A nice thing about the Sirata.  They may not have free internet, but they do put the paper at your door.  A real paper, not the USA Today, like most hotels.   The Sunday edition of the Tampa Bay Times.  Haven't read it, instead composing Saturday's Yak Tale from the Hillsborough River.

Last view of the Sirata Beach Resort, 11:02.  The fog was gone, the forecast, 0% chance of rain.  Friday night, when I made my weekend plans, it was 70%.   8 miles to Fort De Soto County Park. One the way in, I noticed a photographer with a tripod.  What is he shooting?  Hundreds of lesser scaup.  I should have stopped.
I launched from my usual spot near the rental concession at Soldiers Hole at 11:35



I have seen more loons in more places this year than ever before.  Cedar Key, Mosquito Lagoon, Gamble Rogers, and now, Fort De Soto.







Soldiers Hole is a narrow inlet. It opens up past the small mangrove islands, above.





 Mergansers
 Another loon



 Reddish egret
I paddled across Bunces Pass to Shell Key.  Last visit, I did not even try.  Too many boats.  Labor Day weekend.  Today, none



So boat free, I was able to go back for a dolphin photo






I began to paddle north, on the east side of Shell Key.  Here's a mp   That's map



Just enough water to float the yak. Saw two small rays.













It was taking me longer than expected to reach the north end of Shell Key.  I was wondering if, like Caladesi Island, it is no longer surrounded by water.


Shell Key is still surrounded by water, but only due to human intervention.  At least I assume the channel on the north end, with the above riprap on the north side of the narrow entrance, is dredged.  And, is still very shallow.  People were on sand bars and on Shell Key.  Without  boats.  Walked across from Tierra Verde.
Paddling through the opening was a bit of a challenge.  Low water, but rushing in from the Gulf of Mexico.

After about a half hour of paddling, a distant kayaker  turned his kayak perpendicular to the Key, bow facing away.  Better to battle motor boat wakes, I thought.

Nope, better angle to watch dolphins




There were 8 to 10 dolphins.  A great show.






 It was almost 3:30 when I arrived at the south tip of Shell Key and reentered Bunces Pass.  I now know  Shell Key is about 2.5 miles long.



 I enjoyed the second half of my Ultimate sub on the Key. Ham, roast beef, turkey and swiss.  No toppings, they were in the cooler in the car.  Had another salad with the lettuce, black olives and banana peppers tonight, Tuesday.  Still have lettuce left





A
Back on the water at 3:45
 Another dolphin, above







 One of two dolphins coming out of Soldiers Hole as I came in



I landed at 5:06.  Too late for a bike ride. After getting the yak on the car, I drove across the road to the Fort and Gulf Pier parking lot.


To the top of  Fort De Soto
 The light is from the Egmont Key Lighthouse





 On the beach.  After a mostly cloud free day, after the fog lifted, late day clouds obscured the sunset


 To the Gulf Pier


The Hillsborogh River,  Fort De Soto weekend came to an end.   From gators and deer on the River to dolphins, white pelicans and loons in  Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, its two days of kayaking that is hard to beat.

No comments: