Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Happy/National/Kayaking/Day



A/Holiday/I/declared/the/Tuesday,after/Labor Day,2010.//When/I/was/in,where/else?Cedar Key.
A/magnificent day/began with/sunrise from/the balcony.

Loft bedroom/tour.


Downstairs/and out/the door/for my/traditional/last day/walk.




Atsena/Otie/Key/left,Seahorse Key/in the/distance.//Wind,again from/the/southwest/as
I/stood/on the/fishing dock.Did not/look good/for/the long/paddle/to Seahorse.








Cedar Key/is small,very small.//So/you have/seen these/scenes/before,if/you are/aTalegator.

So/I/tried for/some detail.




















 Knothole/view










 19th/century/RR/track?





 An/hour's/jaunt
View/from/my/door.
 Cedar Key/gets very/quiet/on weekdays.
 Last/balcony view
Traditional/log entry
 View from/the/kitchen table
View on/the/kitchen table
Mahi,and/Kaukauna/on/marble rye
Checkout/at11.My receipt/is/timestamped,11:05.//$314.27,for
3/nights.//More/expensive/than usual/as no/AAA/discount/for/the/holiday weekend.
115.00,Sat,and Sun,58.50,Monday-AAA/discount/was back.//Still,less,expensive than
other spots/on/the island.//With/daily/housekeeping.//I/told/the/desk clerk/I/wish/I
could afford/a/better tip.($6)"Oh,you're easy"
Because/I/try/to/keep/it/cleaner/than/my/own home.//That/elicited/a/laugh.

 Said/good-bye,until November,if not/sooner,and moved/the car/for the/first time
since Saturday.//Across the/street.//On the/water at/11:26.







Paddled/to/Astena/Otie

Shell/midden.//19th/century/pencil factories/were not
the/first occupants.
 Pencil/mill/ruins


Tern!Tern!Tern!...with apologies,to the/Byrds






 Lots/of/bird/pics/at/the/dock.//Good/thing/as/they/are/scarce/once in/the open/water.
Dolphins are/in the/open water.//Two above/with/Seahorse Key/in the/distance
 Seas/were/calm,so/I/began/to paddle/to/Seahorse Key.///About3/miles.//Not/1/as/I/wrote/a
few days/ago.

 Grassy Key
Getting closer.//Saw/more dolphins/No photos.

Almost there





 Lighthouse


Closed/to/the/public,except/for/a/few"open houses"
I/got/to/visit,last summer
 Labor Day,laborers


Dozens/of/magnificent/frigate birds/circled overhead.
Despite their/numbers,I/was unable/toget
a/photo......until...

I/paddled/around/a/band.and/there/they were.


 Whiteheads/are/young,red throats/are males/wanting to/create/more youngsters














One/of/two/fishermen/I/saw






















 Osprey also/like/Seahorse Key





Seahorse/Key/is/a/big/sand dune







Took/a/break/around/2:30




 A/long/paddle back/to/Cedar Key
Looking/for animals/in the/clouds

Dolphin/with fish
 Saw/real/dolphins too.//Failed,again.toget/pics.


Steamers(foreshadowing)

I/had/just about/the perfect/paddle.//The/southwest/breeze/which had/prevented me
from paddling/to/Seahorse/earlier/was/not/there when/I/went out.
On/the return/it/picked up//At my/back.
 Landed at/5:25
Took/the above,and below,photos/to show/how/close/the
Gulf is/toParkPlace




Maybe,November2
 I/thought of/heading home,but/worn out,and sunburned/I/decided to/gather my
strength and/have dinner.
At Steamers.//Clamchodwer,of course

Seafood pasta
 A/fine dinner.//28.34,and/a/fivebucktip
Six other/diners.//Cedar Key/is very/slow during/the week.
Twoother/DockStreet/establishments,The
PickeledPelican/and the/Big Deck,weren't/even open






7:00PM,National/Kayaking/Day,and my/4day
Cedar Key/weekend/winds down




I'm/in Florida,thanks to/my friend,Oly.///He's6'5",so/a/shot/of
BigO's/inWilliston/is the/perfect way/to end/this Tale..
But,just/remembered,when/I/returned home/my/neighbors
also were/coming in."Look at/your lawn"//He had/cut
2/3rds/of it.//I/had/let it/grow/longer than/usual/due
to my/achy/back.//Healing is/more important/than the
grass.//A/generous neighbor/was/the perfect/close
to/the/long weekend.

No comments: