Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek

Launched from Katies Landing at 8:45.  Busy with illegal  launchers.Three. Motors.  People ignore the signs. Or try to argue that trolling motors are not motors.  One of the trio had gas and electric.











Two kayakers had launched just after me.  They were paddling at the same pace as I.  Hate when that happens.  Especially when the others are yaking, while yaking.
It took a while, but I eventually got out of earshot.
 I saw one alligator, briefly, as it came into the River.  The one below wasn't going anywhere
 Where are the vultures, I wondered.  Above me, as I heard the corduroy rubbing sound as they took flight.

Alligator






 Arrived at Blackwater Creek at 10:17.  To my surprise, I have not done this paddle since April 6.

A paddling friend recently asked if anyone had seen baby alligators recently.



Autumn in Florida means baby alligators falling from the trees.  I approached a log with tiny gators. Above it, another downed tree, angled above the Creek. Plop! Plop! as two gators jumped off.


 Turned around at 11:15



There were little gators in 3 different spots.  The larger one below may be an uncle.  Too small to be mom.



Sandwich stop.

 A buck is walking away, right side of the above photo.  Look for antlers

 Looks like herbicide has been applied to clear the Creek.  I also saw several fresh saw marks where downed trees have been removed.  What has not been removed is the tree near the entrance.
But, the alternate route is mostly clear, thanks to the weed killing--of course, lily pads are brown and shriveled, along with the water hyacinth. Double edged sword.

Back on the Wekiva, 12:27.

















Landed at 2:30.  Lazy cheating picnickers an anglers at the launch site.  Three cars beyond the Loading/Unloading Only sign.  Selfish shitheads.
I went to the neighboring Seminole State Forest for a bike ride.  Change my mind when I saw a sign.
Hunt, September 21-29.  So, I went to the Lower Wekiva Preserve trail head on State Road 46, for a walk.





1.6 miles.  It rained, but under the trees, I did not get to wet. Only wildlife I saw was a night crawler-hiding under a leaf.

No comments: