Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cedar Key

In Cedar Key for my birthday weekend.  At 9:10, 11-12-13,you may celebrate as you see fit.
 Made the usual stop at Wacasassa Park in Levy/County.  Did something I had not done for at least 7 months. Put on a jacket.  A new one, courtesy of my sister in law, Jackie. Pullover windbreaker.
Headed up the Wacasassa River at 6:45.




Confluence.  Up the Wekiva River, right.

The bump is a woodpecker
The hole is a hole. Likely woodpecker created.






8:09, turn back.


Saw a deer. It saw me when did a back stroke to slow the yak,and ran away.










 Turtle at the confluence. I paddled up the Wacasassa.



 Just 30 minutes up, and back. Enough time for two turtles to join the one seen earlier.

Failed to get a pic of a bigger gator, just down steam from this one.


The only boat up River from the ramp.
 Landed at 10:25.  On the way out,the low tier of the dock was at kayak level. Which made it easy to get in and keep my tootsies dry in the 50 degree chill.  Landed on the concrete ramp. It ha warmed considerably.
Bridge I paddled under.
 I have a million, well, several photos of this caboose. Just one blurry photo of the locomotive on Highway 19.  Today, I stopped.






Behind the locomotive, a beautiful stream
 Blocked. downstream.
Clear.as far as I could see, up.
 I had no idea this was here. The Wekiva, I think, but could be Mule Creek.  If you know, make a comment.
Coming out of the road to the Number 4 bridge. Stopped to look for great horned owls. Still looking.
 Checked out the Gulf before checking in. Low tide.  The new boat ramp is open.
In my home away from home,12:05

Unit 331 at Park Place. My fav. Stove,dishwasher,larger balcony.


 12:38,back in the yak

 Black skimmers


I paddled away from town, near,but not to near, shore as the tide was still out.
 Oyster catchers and tern





 I hoped this was an eagle. Vulture
Bald eagle nest

Turned around. Wind at my back. Past the protection of  Astena Otie Key and Dog Island, it was a bit choppy.

Explored a couple inlets, thinking they may lead to the Number 3 Channel,which I had passed.

Maybe at high tide

Female American avocets












Into the Number 2 Channel

Too shallow for a closer look at a spoonbill, great blue heron, and wood stork.
Turned around before the Number 2 Bridge.
A spoonbill landed on the oyster bar wreck.




 Back on the Gulf

 Stayed out for sunset.











Landed at 5:48.  A great day on the water.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I really like your new camera--great pictures. Ah, Cedar Key.

Dave said...

Thanks !