Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Myakka River State Park

Took just over 3 hours to get from the job on the far east side of Orlando to getting on the water on the far south east side of Sarasota. Clocked at 4:22. Mostly a smooth drive. No bottle neck at the 417 Toll, I-4 merge, something that plagued me my last westbound, after work trip. A brief, heavy downpour in Polk County. Back up on the I-4, I-75 merge. Got through it much faster than the delay two weeks ago on the 417 on my way to the Hillsborough River.


Arrived at Myakka River State Park. Obtained cabin key and car tag. Asked if I could get a Wilderness Permit now, instead of in the morning. Answer, no. Permits, and only 30 a day are granted, are only issued for the same day, beginning when the Park opens at 8.

 

I am in Cabin 4, of 5. I have stayed in 2, and 1, in that order, previously. I put the stuff that needed to be refrigerated or frozen in the appropriate place, changed khakis and golf shirt to swim suit and T-shirt, and drove to Upper Myakka Lake. Delay for deer and a hog on the way
 

Deer from the Park Road
And a hog
On upper Myakka Lake at 7:30
 

As the rustic cabins at Myakka River State Park do not have wi fi, there may be more prose than pics .
At least to start. There is wi fi at the rental concession. Slow. Downloaded the first 5 pics on this Tale and another 6 or 7 on Facebook. Took 50 minutes.
 Numbers are where photos will be placed. Put in at the boat ramp. I think an alligator was next to the ramp as I got out of the car. Heard a splash, saw a gator swimming away. A gentleman taking pictures saw my aforementioned T-shirt, and said, “Marquette, you are the second person from Wisconsin I have seen today” He hails from Stevens Point.
Put in at the boat ramp. I think an alligator was next to the ramp as I got out of the car. Heard a splash, saw a gator swimming away. A gentleman taking pictures saw my aforementioned T-shirt, and said, “Marquette, you are the second person from Wisconsin I have seen today” He hails from Stevens Point.


The boat ramp is at the end of the canal that the concession is on. The open end. Much better launch site than the stony site where the rentals put in. Dirt area on the side of the narrow, concrete, ramp. I went left out of the canal.



 


 

 

Treated to immediate bird life. Great blue heron, limpkin, tri colored heron.


 
 

Blue heron


 

And, of course, alligators. I do not think I have seen one on the dam before. Just like humans, it can’t read the keep off sign. On past paddles on Upper Myakka, I have either portaged, or at times of high water, paddled over the dam. Or, paddled northeast, away from the dam and concession area, towards the Birdwalk. Tonight, I took a new route, along the south shore of the Lake.


 
 
A good choice. Hoped to spot roseate spoonbills. Did not.
 

These are just as good. Black bellied whistling ducks. I see them less often than spoonbills. At two places I can think of. Here, and Orlando Wetlands Park. Maybe once at Haulover Canal




Can you spot the gator?

I have seen deer on the northeast paddle, parallel to the Park Road. Would I see some on this end of Upper Myakka Lake?


 
And, hogs.
 

The deer ran, the hogs, rooted.



 
 
 
 
 
 

 
8:04, sun beginning to go behind the clouds.




Egrets fly to the roost
 


Wonder where it is
 

 

 
Sky scan
 

Headed back
 

 
 
The hogs had moved down the shore line

Not to close to the water

 


The deer reemerged from the hammock
 
 


 



 

 
 

 



 

Landed at 8:35



Late dinner, 10PM



 



 

 

No comments: