Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, December 27, 2014

December 27, 2014, Cedar Key

View from the balcony at 7:20 AM. Below, the eagle came later


 


 

In the kayak at 8:35
 
 

 
 

Paddled to Atsena Otie

 And on to Seahorse Key.  I had seen on both the Cedar Key Chamber of Commerce, and the Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge's websites,  that is was an Open House Day at Seahorse Key.  Which, other than the beaches in non-nesting season, is closed to the public.
 

 
I wondered where the usual tour boats were as I made the crossing.

 

 
 I opened the gate. On past visits, I have arrived just a people were coming down to open it.
 
By now I began to think, maybe this is not an open house day.

Lighthouse door was locked

Kind of neat being the only one on the Key.
It is a laboratory for the University of Florida.  So, on a Saturday between semesters, was vacant.

If anyone asked me what I was doing, I'd say, What, this is not an open house day?

No one was there to ask.

 
 Low tide, so  good walk and pull to yakable water
 

 
 


Had to keep far out to sea as I circled Seahorse Key

Due to low tide

 

 

 

 

 

 Good to have zoom
 


 


As  long as the eagles were willing to pose, I was willing to take pictures.

 One left
And came back. The opening photo.

 
 




Lighthouse dock area

I did not land,  this is maximum zoom
 Actual view up the hill from the water
 One eagle was still there
 

 
 Noon, a beautiful beach, good time and place for a sandwich
 

 A tour boat went past.  I asked, "I thought this was an open house day" "It was  but they changed it and didn't tell anybody"


 
Headed back to Way Key

 

 
 
 

 

 

 

 
Landed at 1:35
 Back on the water at 3:20
 
Dolphin
 Raccon
 Atsena Otie Key
 Eagle. See the whiteish bump in the above pic?  It ducked in the one below
 

 
 
 

 
 



 

 
 Number 2 Channel
 

 

 
 



 

 


 

 

 



 
 Ducked under the spider
 

 


 

 

 

 


 


 

 
 Landed  just  before 6.
Dinner at 7. Takes a while to decapitate, devein, and shuck shrimp.  Clams, too.

Went out to look at the Christmas lights

 
City Park

 Gotta love the dolphins
Turtles

and, manatees

 

 
 Walk down 2nd Street
 


 
 

 

 

 

 
 

The above photo is a horse drawn carriage.
 Reflections at the inner harbor
 
 

 
Black crowned night heron on a dock. You'll just have to believe me.
 

 
 

Last pic of the day. From the balcony, 11:10 PM
 
 

No comments: