Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 23, 2019

Ocklawaha River, Cannon Springs, Salt Springs, Silver Glen Springs, Alexander Creek and Springs

 Tobacco Patch Landing, Ocklawaha River
Underway at 6:57 AM


A spring run entering the Ocklawaha.  A month ago, this was not visible.  The Ocklawaha has a dam.  A legacy of the never built Cross Florida Barge Canal.  The unnatural eco-system created by the dam requires a "drawdown" every four years or so to clear vegetation that builds on the bottom of the artificial lake.  The last drawdown was in 2015-16.






Paddling up River against a fairly strong current


Run to Cannon Springs. Yes, that is the name.




Cannon Spring


A small vent in the spring run.  I call it, Daniel

Larger spring down the run.  I call it David.  So, in order as you paddle up the run, David Daniel Cannon.







Inflow to Cannon







Sulphur smelling spring run

Back on the Ocklawaha
Spoonbills!



And, woodstorks.

Another spring run





Spring run? Could just be an alternate channel




73

 Trying to find a spring.  Ground to mucky to walk very far

 Definitely spring water







 Landed at 11:04
Next stop, Salt Springs.
 Invasive armored catfish.   I do not recall seeing them is Salt Springs before
 Blue crabs belong, and there were plenty.








 Looking into Salt Springs Run, and back to the Springs


On to Silver Glen Springs







 Looking into the Natural Well Spring.  No entry allowed.





 The Boils Trail




 For a better description of these tiny springs than I can provide, read Chapter 1 of The Yearling.


 Shell mound
 Taking a sandy Forest Road to Alexander Creek.   I did not make it.  Not because I got stuck, but I saw vehicles stopped ahead of me.  I turned around, back to Highway 19.

On Alexander Creek on 3:44


 Up the Creek to Alexander Springs







 Boils (one is next to this one) in the Creek bed

Alexander Springs






 Shell mound














The next two pics and the boil are out of order.   Years ago, I would see boils in Alexander Creek on occasion.  Lately the Creek bottom has been covered with algae, obscuring the bottom.  Today, the Creek was as clear and algae free as I have seen it in years. 





All day, I was thinking, I will stop at Persimmon Hollow Brewing and the taco place across the street on the way home.

I almost did not.  Downtown DeLand streets were closed for an art festival.  I don't want to deal with parking.  Then the GPS said, "One hour of delay has been added to your route"  The way home.  I found parking across the street.

 The taco place
 Volusia County Courthouse.

 The Badger game was on at Persimmon Hollow. Talk about ending a perfect day.
 I had the Hollowtonber

Brought some home

And a six pack of Beach Hippie.



No comments: