Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Lake Apopka


  Some information about Lake Apopka, from the St. Johns Water Management District

https://www.sjrwmd.com/waterways/lake-apopka/



This was just my second time on the big lake.  The first, I launched at Magnolia Park, on the east side of the lake.  Today's was Newton Park, on the south shore, in Winter Garden.  The closest public launch, as far as I know, to Apopka Spring in Gourd Neck Bay.  I was on the Lake at 10:14.
Moorhens




Bald eagle, flying into the tree. I had seen three, so far.













I assume a fish attractor is under the buoy.  One of several.
Alligator





Always nice to get a photo of a belted kingfisher.
Sandhill cranes
Tri colored heron
Snowy egret



I wondered if the dock below was at the Oakland Nature Preserve. It is. I visited, via bike and foot, later.

A couple weeks ago, driving on the Turnpike, passing by an area that had been cleared for a housing development,  I saw what may have been the scene below. "What's that?"  I tought. Oh, Lake Apopka. I need to paddle it.
It is a long paddle from the Winter Garden to  Gourd Neck.  I wonder if the folks at this RV Park, near the entrance of the bay, would allow launching.




Montverde water tower from a distance.  Maximum zoom

Water measuring device. Was I near the spring?















It may have been here.  In a few places, the water felt cooler. But, the lake is high, and it was a bit windy, so I could not see a boil. The spring comes from the bottom of the lake, not discharging from the bank.
The water in Gourd Neck is clearer than the green tinted water in the main body of Lake Apopka.






Bald eagle


Osprey

Boat ramp in a subdivision.  



Land cleared for yet another subdivision.



I wonder what this is. On the north shore of the lake


One of two boats I saw all day.




























Landed at 4:31.  A long paddle made longer by not having the rudder the entire return paddle.  
I was expecting it to break.  It had been hanging on by half the threads since halfway into my Wisconsin trip.   The worst thing is, without the cable, the foot pegs do not stay in place. 
















A walk around Newton Park
Off to the Winter Garden Station of the West Orange Trail



Downtown Winter Garden















Off the bike.  Oakland Nature Preserve



Seepage springs


A lot more here than there was 15-20 years ago





New boardwalk

Old boardwalk
New boardwalk.  Must be redoing it in sections.


Lake Apopka
I had seen this from the kayak.
The door to the dock was locked.









About a 2 mile hike.  After a 3 mile bike ride, and 6 hour paddle, I was tired.  Tripped on a root. I'm fine.

Had to bike "fast" to get back to Winter Garden before dark
Oakland still has dirt roads.






Winter Garden, the town the West Orange Trail rebuilt.  The new City Hall, built 2008.






No comments: