Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Homosassa River

I saw something very cool this Thanksgiving day on the Homosassa River. Better then this manatee.


Some of the best teamwork this side of Brett Favre and Donald Driver.Two dolphins on the hunt. One would charge into a school of fish, causing them to leap in the air. The second, in the path of the flying fish would rise out of the water, mouth open, teeth flashing, catching fish. Like at Sea World when a park worker tosses fish, but this was in the wild, not a tank. This happened several times, I assume the two changed roles, one herding, the other in the catching role. If only I had a picture !


div>The Homasassa is a spring fed river, located in Citrus County, south of Crystal River, north of Chassahowitzka. The source is a first magnitude spring, which is joined by several smaller springs that create a wide waterway flowing 9 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. I put in 2.5 miles from the head spring, at McRaes. McRaes as motel rooms, bait, a waterfront bar, and dockage. The bar was not open, somethingI knew in advance, having been here last Thanksgiving.


It was raining as I prepared to launch. Two fishermen, having more sense then me, came in. As they got the boat on trailer, one said "dolphins !" I did not see them, but the fisherman, said they were headed upriver, as was I. The Homosassa has much development, homes, restraunts, resorts, line the banks. I wonder what is was like when this home was built ? Little traffic on the River this rainy Thanksgiving morning. Even the monkeys stayed out of the rain. Yes, monkeys. A resort just upstream from McRaes has 4 or 5 monkeys, two chimps, and another species, on a small island in the River. I know they are not rhesus, which as you know from my Silver River report, can swim. and if you don't know, go to the October posts and read about the Silver River.



There are a few green patches of green shore line on the Homosassa, and ahead, I saw a large splash. Dolphin, or pelican diving. Turned out to be both. I'm not sure who found the fish first, but both pelicans and two dolphins were feasting. I assume the dolphins were the two that passed by as I was launching. As mentioned at the top, the dolphins teamwork was something to behold. They turned back towards the Gulf, just before another river , Halls River, joins the Homosassa. perhaps too much fresh water.


More kayaks then powerboats were on the water, first two, then a trio- with wetsuit tops- I figured they got in the water near the head spring. I wrote "near", as the head spring cannot be accessed by boat. It is part of Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park. The Spring can be viewed from an underwater platform in the Park, I have yet to visit. From the River, the Spring is blocked by bars that prevent large objects from entering. Or exiting. The Park aids in the rehabilitation of injured manatees. This time of year, with the mercury falling, wild manatees seek the warm water coming from the spring. As in the Crystal River, areas near the Spring, on both sides of the River are manatee sanctuaries. Also like Crystal River, swimming with manatees, outside the restricted areas, is allowed. An observation deck allows visitors to the Park to view, the River, and manatees. A kayak was beneath the deck. Still raining, it seemed like the place to be. The kayaker was a Park volunteer, making sure no one harassed the manatees. She said another group of kayakers got in the water, and saw one manatee. The three wet suited folks I saw earlier. I had met this volunteer earlier, last Thanksgiving. She had showed me a spot to get out of my yak and into the water. I thanked her, and paddled over to a bridge, where a concrete shelf is perfect for getting out of the yak and donning snorkel gear. Clear spring water flows under the bridge, from several small springs in a residential area. I saw fish as soon as got in the water. Freshwater, bluegill and bass. Saltwater, sheepshead, needlefish, and mangrove snapper, seen here.



And manatees. Six of them. Only two good pictures as they were resting in a heavily sedimented area. When they would come up for air, massive amounts of organic matter rose with them,clouding the water










The rain continued. Neat to see underwater, not so much when I got back in the yak. I stayed under the overlook for a bit, hoping the rain would stop. It did not. So I decided to cal it a day,and find a place to watch the end of the Packer game.





On the way back, the rain did stop. Just as I reached the Halls River. Unlike the Homosassa, the Halls is mostly undeveloped. I paddled up Halls, until the wind picked up and the rain returned. Worse then ever, blowing in my face. But,when I returned to the Homosassa, a bit of blue sky. It grew, and the rain stopped. I passed a river front bar and asked a couple "Who's wining the Packer game ? " "They're killing them".




Making monkeys out of the Lions, perhaps ?













Here are some bird pictures.

The little one is the common, but elusive, belted kingfisher. Hard to photo, as they don't perch for long.





I arrived at McRaes, and heard a TV on the deck near the docks. I walked over, the place was closed, but a group of people was milling about, some fishing, a few beers on tables and in hands. I saw the score was 34-12. I went back to the yak, put it on the car, put on dry clothes, grabbed a beer from my cooler. When I returned to the TV, it was 34-26. What the ? So, I saw the game clinching field goal drive. I asked a guy if this was the employee Thanksgiving gathering. No, it was the extended family of the owner. Nice of them to let me hang out.



No comments: