Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Wekiva River from Katies Landing, Upstream




Sunday, November 18, 2007 I kayaked the Wekiva River. I did not launch from Wekiwa Springs State Park, but from a site 12 miles downstream, Katies Landing. Katies used to have rentals, docks and other facilities. Little remains, a concrete pier along shore used by fishermen. The State of Florida now owns the property, and it is solely a canoe, kayak launch. The only structures left are a Port-O -Let and a kiosk with a river map.



The first picture is the view from the launch (which is slope to the river). Too bad I could not get the bald eagle that flew over the trees as I was walking back from the small dirt parking lot. The St. Johns River is five miles downstream. I headed the other way, wanting to have the current with me on the return.
Turtles began to appear on logs, soaking up the sun. This usually means alligators will soon follow.
Or, the other way around.

While paddling, I often see colored ribbons tied to trees. Sometimes, it is obvious they are directional markers. In other instances, I am not sure what they are for. Perhaps markers for wildlife, maybe a nesting site. Whatever the purpose of the red ribbon below it, along with they tree roots and curved body of the gator makes a good photo.





My float plan was to turn around after two hours. But, the scenery was god so I made it two and a half. On the way back I stopped at an ancient Indian site, Twin Mounds. The site is in Rock Springs State Reserve. The informational board below is viewed from a short boardwalk overlooking one of the two mounds. It is at the end of a long trail- if you enter overland. From the River, its a short walk, past the other mound.


In the first hand picture, I hold clam shells on top, a snail shell at the bottom, and in the middle, a piece of ancient pottery ? I'm no archaeologist, but is the dark portion of the sample between my fingers charring from a 1000 year old fire ? I found these on two sides of the mound near the River. I left them where I found them, as removing artifacts from State property is illegal.



Few modern residents were on the river, maybe 10 fishermen and canoers. Most of the canoers came from Wekiva Falls, a RV campground that rents canoes. There is a spring as well. Not freshwater, but a sulfur spring. Depending on conditions, it can be smelled at quite a distance. I could not smell it this tip as I passed nearby. One canoeing couple asked if I saw any "crocodiles" . No , but plenty of alligators. From the man's accent, I should put an ad in Le Monde, or some other French newspaper and offer guide services. I could point out birds, and gators, as seen from the obligatory bow of the yak shot.
I ended the day taking an hour long walk on a trail in the nearby Lower Wekiva State Preserve, fininishing as the sun set through the trees

2 comments:

Patrick said...

If you look close at the second picture of the gator. You see baby gators.

Dave said...

Good eye, Patrick. Maybe that's why the ribbon is there, to mark the nest