Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mosquito Lagoon Canaveral National Seashore







After a weeks hiatus from kayaking, I was back on the water today, June 14, 2008. Put in from the canoe/kayak launch at the National Seashore about 1:15. My vehicle was the only one in the lot. On my way in, I passed trucks with trailers parked on the side of the road, outside the entrance. The trailer parking lot was full. It's great to be a kayaker








There was more shore than usual at the put in. Mosquito Lagoon is somewhat affected by the tide, but this had to do more with lack of rain. Oyster beds were exposed, I gave them a wide berth as I paddled north towards Turtle Mound.












Pelicans find the stakes marking the path through the oyster beds a perfect perch.












This is the fourth National Seashore Tale on Dave's Yak Tales. The Lagoon is a prime spot to see manatees, yet, I had not seen any here since the October, 2007 debut of this site. Paddling north, I passed the visitor center, Turtle Mound, and the boat ramp. The entrance to the Shipyard Island Trail is across from the ramp. Due to low water, I decided to skip the Paddling Trail, and continued north, leaving the Seashore. A long island splits the Lagoon, the inner section is a manatee zone, slow speed. I told these folks they were the first honest fishermen I ever saw.























I prefer these craft.


























I paddled past J.B.'s Fish Camp, boaters leaving and docking, kayaks on the shore, the deck full. The above yaks were at a private residence. My destination, Bethune Beach. The Lagoon side of the Park has a dock overlooking a cove. A manatee area. My last visit I saw two dolphins. I entered the cove and a manatee surfaced. From shore, a woman said, there's a manatee !. Not the one I saw, but another, and another, and.... I counted 10.














Four are in the above photo. Here are two more, one rolling- note the flipper on top.


















Road side manatee watching.






































Two of the manatees decided to give me a closer look. They swam to me, then gently rubbed against the underside of the yak. One had a taste, running its snout along the bow. I failed to get a decent picture. I hung with the manatees about thirty minutes, then made my way back the way I came. Saw another manatee traveling north as I paddled south. I then saw something I've never seen in this part of the Mosquito Lagoon.








A sailboat. The shallow waters of the Lagoon are not good for a boat with a keel. Kayaks are perfect. Powerboats are mostly "flats" boats. "Catch A Buzz" is a flats boat. Note the platform above the motor. It serves as both an observation platform, and a place to stand while poling the boat through the grass flats with the motor up.













Dolphins appeared as I neared Turtle Mound. Five of them, traveling in the opposite direction. I stopped at the Mound, planning to walk to the top. I was not able to. The boardwalk up the mound is still ongoing renovations. So, I had some cold chicken on shore and continued on my way.







Approaching the Visitor Center dock, I noticed people standing, looking into the water. I got closer, and did not see any fishing poles. Had to be a manatee. It was. One near the dock. The mom of the family on the dock asked where they could see dolphins. I told them if they stayed where they were, chances were the five I saw would eventually turn around and head back this way.







I came back to where I started. The area near the launch is often good for manatees, but none today. Perhaps the quartet of wading fishermen scared off the seacows. I passed the Eldora State House, on my way to Castle Windy. The water remained shallow, I stayed outside a series of small oyster shell/mangrove islets. Across the way, I saw a dolphin. I went for a closer look, it disappeared. but then, I saw one, two, five. The pod I saw at Turtle Mound had turned around.





































All those dolphins, and one picture to show for it. So you'll have to take my word for it when I write I think they were mating. I do not know any other reason why a dolphin would try to ride/mount another. I also saw the white belly of one as it went after a fish that jumped from the water.






I went a bit beyond Castle Windy, following the dolphins, then came about and landed. Walked the 1/2 mile trail to the beach.






This is a live oak covered with resurrection ferns. Hard to see because they are brown. Rainfall will restore them to a vibrant green, hence the name.





Compare this to the picture on the next post from Blue Spring, an area that has had much more rain then the coast.

















Speaking of the coast.









Back in the yak and back to the launch. Spotted another two dolphins near the Eldora

State House, and another manatee. Other wildlife, not previously described or pictured includes raccoons, osprey, black crowned night heron, great blue herons, gulls and armadillos. I was six hours on the water.



A final picture - what the f@#* ? Can't walk 10 steps to a trash can?








I picked up for the scumbags. Unfrappin believable the lack of morals/ethics/courtesy/common sense.

2 comments:

Emory said...

I too can't believe how lazy some people are. It seems to be worse around boat ramps. And you figure these are the places that people launch their boats to go out and enjoy nature. I have started trying to clean up an island in Jacksonville that is only accessable by water. So you know that it is boaters that are leaving the trash there.

Dave said...

I think I got the idea of posting the trash picture after reading your Exchange Island reports.