Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Juniper Creek and more





In my last Tale, I wrote I was thinking of heading to Juniper Creek today, Saturday, November 22, 2008. Thought turned to action and I was in the water at 6:40 am. It was chilly, I'm curious to see what the temperature was. I'd guess 39-43 My guess was off, weather.com reports the temperature in Astor, FL was 37 at 6:05 and 7:05 am. Its warmer on the water, thanks to the three springs, Sweetwater, Fern Hammock, and Juniper that feed Juniper Creek. Steam/mist/fog rose from the Creek for the first hour.






I went to Juniper Creek because I was sure I'd see deer. Of course, I saw none. Which surprised me after seeing so many on recently on Rock Springs Run, a very similar waterway. As usual on Juniper, not a lot of wildlife. To cold for alligators, no turtles until half way home on the way back. Belted kingfishers, pileated woodpeckers, hawks, vultures, blue herons, black crowned night heron, great egret, great blue heron.








Some folks feel Florida does not have fall.










They need to visit the Ocala National Forest to see the red maples and cypress trees.











While disappointed that I did not see any deer, I was ecstatic that I did not see any people. I'll repeat that. I did not see any people. On Juniper Creek. On a Saturday. Granted, my dawn start helped, but I arrived at the Juniper Creek Recreation Area just before 10, it opens at 8, plenty of time for people to begin paddling downstream.








I had the Spring to myself.












In this pic, I tried to catch the bits of shell and rock being blown about by the force of the spring flow.








Thee are two main vents in the spring pool, This is the other.

















Other than minnows, no fish in the pool.







Maybe most bigger fish have a hard time swimming under the water wheel. I say "most" because I have see eels in the Spring.










I had this beautiful place to myself.
















Speaking of beauty, I took the usual stroll over to Fern Hammock Springs.



















Beauty and the beast, some of the best boils I've seen, throwing up huge amounts of sand from the bottom.














As I was leaving Fern Hammock, one, than two, than three, than ten turkeys dashed across a narrow clearing. I did not get a photo, as knowing what lies in the near future, they got back under cover fast.







I also missed the picture of this varmint,















when he was in my kayak.









The boardwalk from Juniper Springs to Fern Hammock Spring has several overlooks on both spring runs. I could see paddlers headed downstream, and so I waited for them to get ahead before I began my return trip.








As noted above, turtles began to come out as the day warmed.


















This shot reminds me why my arms are sore.


















This is going downstream, heading up against the current flowing over the limestone bottom was a different story. As usual, I took my time downstream, yet I passed all seven boats, 4 rental canoes and three kayaks. Seven craft on Juniper Creek. I love cool November days.










I landed about 2:10, just after getting this action shot of a great egret fishing.
























At the landing, I chatted with the shuttle van driver, waiting to take paddlers back to the Rec Area. The self described Cracker told me deer should be soon be prevalent on the Run. It's hunting season in the Ocala National Forest, but no hunting is allowed in the Juniper Creek Wilderness. "Dogs will be chasing deer from three points, and they'll all come here".






A few months back, the Forest Service changed the rules at the Juniper Wayside. In an attempt to end damage by the partying crowds that gathered on both sides of the Run, leading to erosion, trash and other problems, the area was closed for all activity other than landing canoes and kayaks. As I launch here, this affected me. Thanks to a grass roots effort, in which I played a small part, the rules were changed, and launching was again allowed. I had not noticed this on my previous visits, but it is nice to have confirmation.













Silver Glen Springs is 3 miles north of the Juniper Wayside launch/ takeout. Unlike Juniper Springs, there are big fish here.












Lots of fish.










Mostly mullet.












Usually, scores of stripped bass are in Silver Glen. I saw none this snorkel. I'm not sure what these are.










Besides the fish, I shared the immense first magnitude spring with two other people. As many deer were on the edge of the parking lot as I put the snorkel gear in the car.















This is a picture of two deer, not one huge 8 legged one.





After my swim I walked the two mile Lake George Trail and saw more deer,










and Lake George.
















Another deer bounded across the picnic area when I returned. By this time, it had been a long day. Six hours paddling, snorkeling two springs, a two mile hike. I almost did not walk the 3/4 mile Springs Boils Trail. Named for tiny springs boiling up. Not as spectacular as Fern Hammock, but very nice.







I've seen raccoons here, maybe I'd spy a deer drinking. The end of the trail has a short boardwalk and platform for protection and observation. I turned a corner saw a shape and thought. What is th.., a bear ! On the boardwalk ! It sensed me, got up on a railing, haunches quivering as it balanced for a moment, than jumped off, running up a hill. I snapped a picture and missed. Perhaps I was distracted by the noise on my left. Something moving fast in the woods, a black shape, another bear !










I never saw a bear until I began kayaking. I think these two make ten I've seen since '05. Seeing these two , while we were both on terra firma, was quite the experience.










I saw another deer on the way out, then crossed Highway 19 to look for scrub jays along the Yearling Trail. I heard plenty, saw one.






I'd say I had a pretty good day.


4 comments:

Kengot said...

Your photos tell me the atmospher around river side.
So nice.

Dave said...

Thank you for the compliment Kengot. I hope you have seen the photos I've added to the Tale after your kind words.

Unknown said...

Hi Dave,
I like your site. I had put in at the Juniper Springs takeout this past week and decided to not venture to Lake George b/c the river was so low it would be really difficult to padde back to the takeout. If I put in at Juniper takeout and intend to get out at Silver Glen - isn't that about 7 miles of kayaking total?

Thanks
Leann

Dave said...

Thank you, Leann.

I've never gone more than a few minutes downstream of HWY 19. Can't tell you what the mileage is.

I've thought of doing the same thing, using a car-bike shuttle. You've got me thinking again. I would not paddle Lake George on a weekend. TMDPB (To Many Darn Power Boats)