Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Chassahowitzka River

Saturday January 3, 2009, I kayaked the Chassahowitzka and several of its spring fed tributaries. I have not been here since early September. A fantastic paddle. It was difficult to decide what photo to post first. I picked the above Blue Run scenic, instead of a manatee checking out the yak in Houseboat Spring,






or, a bald eagle in flight,









perhaps a pod of dolphins hunting in a shallow tidal creek,



maybe a manatee in its realm in Houseboat Spring.





I was unable to get photos of the otter and two alligators I saw. As I wrote above, a fantastic paddle.





I arrived at the Chassahowitzka Campground boat launch around 8:15. As I was putting in, a kayak tour group came to unload. If you are ever in Citrus County, Florida and don't have a kayak, or if you do, but want a quality guide, talk to these folks.






http://naturecoastkayaktours.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1









I shoved off, and headed down the Chass. A bit cool, but warmth in the forecast. Lots of cormorants cheating- they have an unfair advantage, able to see their meal in the clear spring water.









My first stop was Houseboat Spring, a short way down River on the left, south side. Manatees are often here, and at least three were in the spring today. I thought of joining them in the water but, decided I did not want to be in the water if the tour group came in. Which, of course they did not, in fact, I never saw them after I launched. If I had gone in, I would have been eaten alive by no-see-ums. I was glad to have on long sleeves, mad I had no bug spray. Had I been underwater, the bugs would not be a problem. It's the getting in and coming out that would leave me open to attack. So, I enjoyed the one huge adult and two smaller manatees from the yak.





After having enough of the big manatee's bad breath, when one exhales next to you, the exhale is seen, heard, felt and smelled, I moved on the Baird Creek, just downstream of Houseboat Spring. Baird Creek is a beautiful paddle. Two, maybe three springs are in the Creek, one at the end. But the end of Baird Creek is just the beginning of a second, even more beautiful, spring run.







This is the way to The Crack, a narrow spring I have visited many times. But not today. I decided I did not want to walk the last 100 yards or so in water to shallow to float the yak. So I turned back. This is the other end of the run, as it empties into Baird Blue Spring.








I let the springs current take me back to the Chass. On the way, I heard a paddler coming upstream. I waited for him to come out of a narrow part of the Creek, high grass on both sides. It opens into a wide pool with palms, oaks and other trees. He came out of the grasses, and said,



"Wow" A second opinion on the wonder of Baird Creek. Here's a great egret in the grass.




Out of Baird Creek, back to the Chas, I continued the adventure. A series of islands splits the River, the main channel is on the left. I went right.








Salt Creek enters the Chas from the north of the less traveled channel I was in. Salt is very confusing, at least to me. Lots of channels, islands, dead ends. I decided to go up it as far as I could, picking the clearest flow for my path. After twenty minutes this obstruction had me turn back.









So, I turned around.








Salt Creek was a worthwhile diversion. Back on the Chas, bald eagles and dolphins.







Before seeing the eagle, I may have seen a whooping crane. A very large, white bird with black on the underside of its wings was soaring high above the River. Another possibility is a wood stork, but, I wondered do they soar as high as this bird ? Next, I saw a bald eagle fly, land, and take off. Landing and takeoff photos are posted. Then came the dolphins. I saw one dorsal fin, then a kayaking couple asked me if the big bird had been a bald eagle. I confirmed that it was, then pointed out another surfacing dolphin. Soon, four dolphins began headed down River. I followed as they turned up a narrow, shallow creek.






Very cool to see the pod on the prowl. Also cool was when they decided it was time to head back to deeper water. Do they know when the tide is going out, I wonder ? Four dolphins, coming straight for me at high speed like torpedoes, wakes frothing. Hope their sonar is working.




It was, as they all dived beneath the yak. More like rolled sideways, for if they went nose front, the clearance from creek floor to yak bottom may not have had room for an upright dorsal fin. I continued to follow them as they returned to the Chas, until I was distracted by another bald eagle. As I was taking eagle photos, none Yak Tale worthy, the dolphins moved out of sight.





I moved on, to Crawford Creek, entering the Chas from the south. Paddled up the shallow Creek, than up the even shallower Blue Run. Saw an alligator and otter in the Run. Saw a second gator here.





"Here" being the grayish area in the photo. My landing area for Blue Run Spring. The small gator four-five feet slid down the bank as I entered the Spring. I waited awhile, than landed at the same spot to eat lunch. As I made my way up the shallow Run, I had thought of how good a dip in the Spring would feel. Under the circumstances, I did not go in the water. Just watched the snapper, blue gills, mullet, pickerel, needle fish and turtle from the bank. Never did see the gator again.





Two birds from this section. Tri colored, and juvenile yellow crowned night heron.










One of many things I enjoy about the Chas is the diversity. There are narrow, canopied areas, and sections of broad grasslands with palm tree islands, such as here on Crawford Creek.





The confluence of Crawford Creek and the Chas is marked by a line of palms, shorn of fronds. Perfect eagle perch.

















Third bald eagle of the day. Here are five more birds seen as I paddled back up the Chas.




















I came back to Houseboat Springs. A canoeing couple was there, and two, maybe three manatees. I looked for a place to get out of the yak. There are no good spots. The bottom near shore is mucky all around the Spring. Step into it, sink in the gunk. I found a log to stand on, a stump to sit on. Still got a lot of dirt on me, but it was worth it.










In addition to the manatees, two, the Spring was full of snapper, especially near the vent. I was in the water about 15 minutes. The couple in the canoe left, another came in as I was getting back in the yak. The idiots had a cabbage, and were peeling off leaves, trying to feed the manatees. 'Don't you think they get enough natural food ?" "This is what they feed them at the park" Referring to Homosassa. "Those manatees are being rehabilitated, and are not in the wild (you ignorant yahoo)" Seems like the State Park Service needs to do a better job of education.



I left, headed to the launch site. Which was crowded, so I went to the Solution Holes. Perfect place to clean off. Only low tide was upon the River, my yak would not make it across the hard limestone bottom. So back to the landing, still crowded. A trip up Crab Creek to check the springs there. Two final photos.



I landed at 4:45, a nice eight hour day. Saw one more creature, or creatures. No-see-ums. They were bad, very bad. I ran to the car to put on long pants and sleeves. In a way, I'm glad they were out. Gotta have something to keep people away. Because, with manatees, alligators, dolphins, otters, bald eagles and more, the Chassahowitzka has a lot to attract the masses.

8 comments:

Trendell said...

Doing this trip in April 09 Dave since you make it look so appealing! Very excited and hope to see as much wildlife as you did!

Safe Paddling
Teresa

Dave said...

April, 09, that's a long way off. Hope the weather is good. I don't make final plans for my trips until the night before, after browsing weather.com and NOAA the best weather.

Wendy said...

I'm just learning to get out on the rivers in Fl with a kayak. How did you find on the different springs? Did you have a map with them marked?

Dave said...

My resources when I began kayaking in 2005 were the Springs Fever and Central Florida Kayak Trips sites. Both in the links section. The camp store has a rudimentary map. Ask for it when you pay for parking.

wilson1963 said...

TYhanks for posting the great photos etc....goin in there june
14, about 5 weeks from now and researching the area. Taking family and 2 teenage sons along with our 2 sit on kayaks to the keys then working our way thru that area to head home....going to have 2-3 days there. Thanks again for the great posts.....Don Wilson

Dave said...

Have fun, Don. By chance are you rhe Don Wilson who is the Outdoors Editor of the Orlando Sentinel ?

ARY said...

Very interesting photos and trip reports. You have mentioned that the run from Crack disappears in Blue Spring. What are you referring to as Blue Spring? Do you mean the first deep section after shallow creek downstream where river kinda turns? Or the one inside the cove downstream on the left (orographically)? Besides kayaking we do an underwater cave exploration in the area and particularly interested in features like springs, suck-holes, and sinkholes (my google gallery - http://picasaweb.google.com/ary.cave/). I would be very thankful if you share you encounters w/karst features found in rivers and lakes. Good luck and safe paddling.

Dave said...

Ary, Blue Spring is at the end of Baird Creek. Look for the circling mullet and other fish once you have paddled through the last reedy area. The run from The Crack enters the spring pool at about 1 o'clock as you face upstream.