Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lake Maitland and Lake Minnehaha

A morning paddle on the northern part of the Winter Park Chain today, Wednesday, January 28, 2009. I got a two hour paddle in from 8:30 to 10:30. From the Fort Maitland Park launch I headed east across the northern edge of Lake Maitland. I wanted to paddle in a scenic canal at the northeast corner of the Lake, an neighborhood where I ran and biked years ago. Despite having paddled there before, I somehow missed it. So I continued on, heading south to one of two islands in Lake Maitland, the Isle of Sicily. The first photo is the bridge that joins Sicily to the Winter Park mainland. Here's a closer view.







This bridge, and the bridges across the canals attaching the lakes, are one thing that make this a scenic paddle. The Isle of Sicily has a few huge homes. I thought of taking a picture of a mansion, but decided to concentrate on wildlife. If a house provides background, fine.






The second of the two islands in Lake Maitland is Dog Island. Smack dab in the middle of the Lake, it has no homes, unless you count a treehouse.








I landed on Dog Island for the first time. I knew it is a popular place, I did not realize it had a picnic table and grill,








and fire pit.






And a lot of bottles and cans. I should bring a big trash bag someday. I must confess, I left Dpg Island as I found it. I did leave Fort Maitland Park cleaner then when I arrived. I left, paddling north to the canal leading to Lake Minnehaha. Here a woodduck couple lead me out of the canal.









The Winter Park Chain has a lot of these colorful birds. They are skittish, but there are so many eventualy I can find find one standing still for a moment.



















I was in Lake Minnehaha briefly, but saw an otter. It took cover in the shoreline vegetation, so no photo. Here are more birds from both lakes and the canal.
















Anhinga, red bellied woodpecker, and osprey. Another scenic bridge, this over the Maitland to Minnehaha Canal.


Great blue heron taking off.




My flight photos are getting much better. I credit the 8.0 pixels in the camera I've had since October, up from 6.0.



Good for getting shots that will make your hair stand on end.














A silhouette.


















It is not the photographer, nor the camera that makes good pictures. It is the subject matter, and I'm blessed to have a lot of good subjects. In this Tale, just a mile out my door.

No comments: