Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wekiva River

I paddled the Lower Wekiva River today, Sunday, January 25, 2009 for the first time since July 19, 2008. Katie's Landing, the usual put in for this trip, has been closed for renovations. It was long past time to check out the alternate put in, Wekiva Haven, down the road from Katie's. I had launched from there before, prior to discovering Katie's.







Passing Katie's evidence of construction is obvious. Concrete slab with plumbing coming up. Future restrooms. I wonder why it is taking so long. Since my last visit there is a new strip mall and almost completed condo complex on nearby State Road 46. Private vs. government work, maybe ?







I arrived at Wekiva Haven, only to find it is also closed. I drove to the launch area anyway, saw horses blocked the ramp. A sign on the concession building read. "Thank you for 50 years, 1958- 2008, closed September 2008" A fisherman arrived. He also did not know the place had closed. He decided he would go to Highbanks Marina on the St Johns. I told him I had planned on paddling the other direction, away from the St Johns, and did not want to be on the St Johns on a Sunday. He understood, boat traffic is heavy and fast between Highbanks and the Wekiva. Very different from the Blue Spring to Hontoon State Park section. Where to go ? I thought of Wekiva Falls, but I seemed to recall it had a substantial launch fee, $5-10. I decided I would investigate Wilson's Landing Park.







This Seminole County facility is south of State Road 46, Katies and Wekiva Haven are north. I had read a report on Paddling.net about someone launching from the Park. I sent an email to the paddler that wrote it. He responded "As you said, I just slide down the bank." This was back in March 2007. I've paddled past the Park many times since then, but could never see from the water a good place to put in.







I arrived the Park, parked in the asphalt lot, and walked to the River. A concrete walkway leads to an observation/fishing pier. To high to launch. To the right, a pine needle covered path leads to the bank.









Works for me. I also saw a car parked in a grass/sand area at the end of a dirt path. This made for a shorter carry to the water. The lot is on the other side of a fence that appears to mark the Park boundary, so I moved the car back to the paved lot. On my return, a car with a Thule rack (that's a brand of cartop carrier) was in the lot. As I loaded my yak, a county sheriff had no comment as he drove past. So, it must be ok to park there.








On to the paddle. I went south, upstream. Lots of algae.







Which is of interest to the State Department of Enviornmental Protection.





















The algae coverage is extensive near Wilson's Landing, covering much of the River.









It thins out upstream, concentrating along the bank.




















The algae stops completely ten minutes paddling time upstream of Wekiva Falls. I saw no more all the way to Buffalo Tram, today's turn around. Think I should bill the State a consulting fee ? ;)

At Wekiva Falls, I asked some folks preparing to launch what it cost. Nine dollars. Wilson's Landing is free.






Here's some of the day's wildlife.
















Lots of turtles sunning. I expected to see alligators on this first warm day in a week. Warm enough to take off the long sleeves on the way back from Buffalo Tram. No gators.

Great egret photos- these are not the same bird. In flight.




Take off.






Landing.




Here I approach Wilson's Landing at the end of the day. Two hours to Buffalo Tram. a 30 minute lunch, walk and get water out of the yak break, two hours back. 5 other boats on the Wekiva, all paddle powered.


No comments: