Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mosquito Lagoon

I visited the Canaveral National Seashore, Sunday, February 8, 2009 and paddled the Mosquito Lagoon. It was not a great day for wildlife until I saw more dolphins then I have ever seen in one spot. I'll get to that in a bit.




I launched from the usual spot, the designated canoe/kayak launch area. Lately, people have been fishing from the shore, including three ladies who arrived just after me. We gave each other plenty of room. Unlike these jerks, blocking the landing area when I was done for the day.







I did not apologize when I ran into their lines. Lazy s#&ts can't move their setup away from the landing ? Or fish from the available piers ? Some people just suck.








Ok, my tirade is over. I was in the water at 9:45. It was low tide, and quite low. Yesterday, when I took the picture of the full moon over Alexander Creek, I thought to myself, "Don't kayak tomorrow with tidal influence." I've paddled enough to learn that full moon = extreme tides. Well, my own advice went in one ear and out the other, and here I was at Mosquito Lagoon, which is affected by the tide. Lots of exposed oyster beds. I got stuck, poleing did not work, I had to get out and walk for a before finding enough water to float the yak with me inside. I headed north, past Turtle Mound, across the Lagoon to Shipyard Island and the marked trail through the Island. I looked forward to paddling here, as I would be out of the north wind. On the way, a bald eagle flew overhead. Arriving at the entrance to the Shipyard trail, I had to push my way in, due to low water I paddled a bit, poled some, walked more, realizing it was not the right time to paddle Shipyard. So I turned around, following the trail left by the bottom of the yak back into the Lagoon.









The only bird photo I was able to get in 90 minutes was this belted kingfisher. Headed back, stopping at Turtle Mound. Captured this beauty on the way to the top.




















Back to the water, got a few bird photos. Osprey. You can see the oyster beds mentioned earlier.











Great egret.















Ducks.

















More ducks, and seagulls.



















The ducks were just before I passed my starting point. I did not plan on going much farther, as I would have to turn back into the wind. I hoped to see a dolphin, the water is too cool for manatees. I saw something in the distance. Dolphin ? My pace picked up. A wake ahead, definitely a dolphin. Paddled faster, saw another dolphin. And another, and another.



















Soon, I was in a pod of a least ten dolphins. I have never seen so many tails raised high as they searched the bottom for lunch.












Dorsal fins carving through the water.


















We, the dolphins and I, were off Eldora State House. A channel leads to the east side of the Lagoon, along the south tip of Orange Island. Water flows from three points of the compass, so it makes a happy dolphin hunting ground.


















I spent an hour taking pictures. A fantastic experience, dolphins surfacing all around me. They made my return to the landing site easier, as we circled an island an I ended up with the wind at my back.













What began as a so-so paddle, ended as "The Day of the Dolphins"









Finished the visit to the Seashore with a walk on the half mile Eldora Hammock Trail.




No comments: