Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rock Springs Run and Wekiva River

Paddled Rock Springs Run and the Wekiva River Tuesday morning, June 2, 2009. In May, I visited Wekiwa Springs State Park, once, probably a record for fewest visits. I was waiting for the waters to recede, and downed trees to me removed from Rock Springs Run. A fellow paddler sent me a picture last week of a fallen tree blocking the Run. I thought that perhaps the folks at Kings Landing would have removed it in time for last weekend so renter's would not complain and would return for another visit.








I was in the water at 8 am. Wekiva pics.









































Into Rock Springs Run. The water higher and darker than my last visit, May 6. I came to a log with a fresh looking saw mark. Was this the downed tree? Continued upstream. A tree blocked the Run. Or so it seemed. I was able to duck below it and go through. Only to get perpendicular to the current and be swept down stream. Through an opening on east bank I had missed. Leave it to me to do things the hard way. I straighted out the yak, and continued up Run. Surely this was the tree I was told about. No, this is.


















Downstream of Otter Camp. Just as I had been told. Not quite to the big hollow cypress tree. I might have fit under the highest part of the obstruction, but that would put me in a tangle of smaller branches. I looked for a way under, over or around. But, having to go to work later, I turned around.










Instead of doing the usual morning paddle past Indian Mound, I'd take the opportunity to paddle more of the Wekiva, downstream of the confluence.












The first picture of the great blue heron was taken on the way downstream, just before the bridge. It was still there on the return, 18 minutes later.













I almost got a tongue shot here as the GBH was doing the throat pulsing thing, usually seen with cormorants














Alligators.
































I passed the Marina, now called "Wekiva Island" They are charging $100.00 a day of canoe rental. It does include a cooler with ice and 6 water bottles. I like it. Price gouging like that will mean less people.







The anhinga and turtles are on a log that is often occupied by a large alligator.












The Yak Dave wading bird sunning turtle = alligator matrix again proved accurate. The big gator was not on the log, but a smaller one was on the inside of the log, hidden in the greenery.





The gator is barely visible Follow the anhinga's tail. Click the pic for a larger view.

I landed at 10:50 or so, plenty of time for a refreshing swim before heading to work.




Programing note. I leave for Milwaukee, and an annual get together at Cedar Lake in Kiel, Wisconsin. Slow pontoon rides, around the lake, maybe a sail on Lake Michigan with my brother. Not likely to kayak--but, you never know. Back here Monday night.

6 comments:

A3 said...

Dave,

As always, a pleasure to read!

Have fun 'up north'.
Is Andrew Cannon your brother?

Kind regards form the country with tulip lined canals........

A3

Dave said...

Yes, A3, Andrew Cannon is my brother. An "A-1" guy.

Anonymous said...

You are incorrect. WEkiva Island does not charge $100 for a canoe rental. The canoes rent for $30 a full day and $22 a half day. You can rent a private River Bana for $100 and that comes with a full day canoe rental and a cooler of water. Thank You.

Unknown said...

Dave, Dave, Dave, if you are going to announce to the world someone's prices I would get it right. Canoes at Wekiva Island are NOT $100. A cabana along the river is $100 and INCLUDES a canoe in that price plus a cooler with 6 waters. Cabanas are pretty much sold out on the weekends. The canoes are $22 for half a day (4 hours) or $30 for a full day. Canoes $1 more than the park but the park nails you after 2 hours for $3 more dollars/hour. PLUS Wekiva Island has a nice little bar and serves beer and wine. :) Thank you "Anonymous"!

Dave said...

If people want to pay for a shelter,chairs, cooler and water, fine. I'd rather bring my own cooler under a shady tree.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should come and pay a visit to Wekiva Island before you pass judgement on our prices and facilities. We would be more than happy to show you our environmentally friendly oasis that we have created that is enjoyed by many people. Our river-banas are a great place to hold a get together and we sell out of them every weekend! They are much more comfortable than a tree and a cooler. Please stop in sometime!