Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Crystal River and Mason Creek

I began the new month paddling a new location. Mason Creek. And an old favorite, Crystal River. Got an early start, launched at the ramp next to Birds Underwater, and was snorkeling Three Sisters Springs at 7:10 am.
















The sun was not high enough over the trees to get good photos of several foot long bass and big snapping turtle. All I have is this blue gill.






I had the Springs to myself the entire time. First time that has ever happened.








I left the Sisters, paddled into Kings Bay. I was glad to see the near shore area is a year round manatee, Idle Speed Zone. I had only paddled Kings Bay and the Crystal River once before in summer, all other visits being in fall and winter. Although it was so early, few motor boats were out.











































































Arrived at Kings Spring, on the southeast corner of Banana Island. I anchored between the island and the spring, something that can't be done from November 15 to March 31, when it is closed to all activity, except a corridor to swim to the Spring from off shore. Two other boats, three people besides me. Saw a few snapper, schools of mullet





















and sheepshead. Back in the kayak, I paddled past Warden Key. Here is a close up of the bird on the Refuge sign in the first photo. Immature black crowned night heron.


























As you may know, Crystal River and Kings Bay is an important manatee wintering ground. The many springs, with constant 72 degree water, bring 100s of the large swimming mammals to the area when the weather turns cool. (Doesn't get "cold" in Florida). Manatees are in the area in the summer, just not as many. I hoped to see some, or perhaps a dolphin. Or a bald eagle. No dolphins or eagles, but I did see manatees. In three different places. The first, a least 5 or six. Paddling around a corner, I heard a splash. Either manatee fluke, or anchor being tossed over. The latter. The boat operator had stopped, and was waving to a tour boat. I saw the tell tale concentric circles, manatee wake in the water. The first boat was a family vessel, the tour boat a small one. The manatees were spread out, so we all had our own manatee to observe. One came near me, but never surfaced while eyeing me from just below the surface

















There never were more than three people in the water at a time, and all appeared to give the manatees ample room. I was not one of the three, the water was too deep to exit the yak. No good photos, is a distant one.



.
































On the other hand, the next manatee I saw had quite a crowd surrounding it.


































The manatee has a float and satellite receiver, which means it was injured, rehabilitated, and released. I would think a tour operator would know better than to have a dozen people so close to a manatee that needs to get re acclimated to the wild. Silly me. Selling videos to tourists of their manatee encounter is more important then giving the manatee space.
















I may be on the video. The videographer/guide swam out to where I was and asked "Why are you taking picture of my group?" I responded I was trying to photo the manatee, and by the way, why surround a rehabilitated manatee? "We are not surrounding it" He then aimed the camera at me, I said thank you, pointed mine at him, only to have the "Replace battery pack" message come on. Was "surround" the wrong word? Should I have used "corral" or "block" or "impede"? I could be wrong, but the guide seemed somewhat defensive.































Another tour boat traveled across the bay. The guide asked. "Why don't you take pictures of that one?", and swam back to the group. I did not dignify him with a reply, but thought, why would I chase after another pontoon tour boat, you were on my way back to shore, you seem to be a bit paranoid. I was glad I saw what I did. I've read about this outfit, seen some videos of their tours, not flattering ones, heard about the guides hassling paddlers. Very interesting to see how they operate first hand.















I continued back to the launch, saw two manatees in an area where sailboats berth. Boat traffic was picking up, so it was time to land. Crystal River is the only place in Florida where I've seen Canadian geese.
Can a cormorant goose-step?


























I landed about 11:10, 4 plus hours on the water. Still early, so I headed to Homosassa, 7 miles away. The lot at McRae's was full, trailers parked 4 blocks away. Plan B. I had no Plan B. Perhaps backtrack, and launch on the other side of the Homossasa ? Nah, they charge $5$over there. Continue south to the Chassahowitzka ? Chances are it will be full, just like McRaes. I had a map with Citrus County boat ramp. A free ramp at the end of Mason Creek Road which I was approaching. Drove down the winding road, on the edge of the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge, to the ramp.










Not much of a ramp, just the end of the road at Mason Creek. Parking on the shoulder. 7,8 trailers. No cars with roof racks.










Mason Creek is a short, tidal waterway. Long grass the dominant plant. I paddled upstream. Some large houses that see out of place.






















Single story Cracker style are my vision of what homes along the Creek should look like. On the other hand, Florida's first Senator, David Levy Yulee, had a plantation on the area, so there have always been rich folks.








I went upstream until the Creek got to shallow. Got a few bird pics.




















I think this bridge makes a good photo opp.
Continued downstream past the ramp. Came to an area I had paddled before, only north to south, not east-west. Back in 2005 I paddled south from the Homossasa on the Citrus County Paddling Trail, past Mason Creek, intending to go to the Chas. Did not make it that far, could not locate the trail.
As I recall, I found the trail, just the same marker over and over.



I spent about 100 minutes on Mason Creek. Stopped at the Yulee Sugar Mill ruins. The plantation mentioned earlier. Levy County north of Citrus, is named for David Levy Yulee. He financed and promoted the cross-state railroad from Cedar Key to Ferdinanda, north of Jacksonville. Unlike sugar mills on the Atlantic coast, many which were sacked by Seminoles, Union troops damaged the mill in 1864. The price of treason.

Sunday, 8-2-09. Some information about the tagged manatee. From an email I received.

Many thanks. We doublechecked at the> manatee that was swarmed by divers was> "Baby Coral" a released rehabilitated manatee. She had been> staying near the> mouth of the river but had ventured up to the headwaters> for a couple of> days. She's now gone back down, maybe chased out..but who> knows. > > We would be very grateful if you would put a note on your> page saying> something like, > > I heard from the organization, Sea to Shore Alliance> (www.sea2shore.org)> that is responsible for tracking and monitoring the> released, rehabilitated> manatees. These manatees were previously injured, or> orphaned calves and> they have been released into the wild to help the species> recover. It is> sometimes difficult for them to readapt to the wild and> excessive human> contact can attract or disperse them to areas where they> are at increased> risk. Anyone seeing a tagged manatee should avoid it and> stay at least 3> boat links away so that they have a chance to become "wild"> again. > > For more information anyone is welcome to contact me> directly.> > Looking forward to reading more on your blog.> > Best,> Buddy Powell

Long time readers of the Tales may recall reading about the "wildtracks" program. sea2shore has taken over this important work. Long time readers also would have questioned the guide, as you know what to do, and not, when encoutering manatees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, they are always around and on top of the "tagged" manatees. They can't find others without tags like the rest of us boat captains...it seems. They eventually will probably ruin the "in water" manatee encounter programs for everyone.