Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lignumvitae Key amd Indian Key

Known by some as Day 1 of the Elena and Aaron wedding weekend.

The first of my Mom's 11 grandchildren (not first age wise) to celebrated her wedding this Saturday, November 21, 2009 in Key West. The wedding of Elena and Aaron was a wonderful event. I had a great time, and of course, brought the kayak. So this, and the next two Yak Tales will be a mix of family and paddling.



My kayaking stop Friday, November 20, 2009 was Indian Key Fill, Overseas Highway Marker 78. Unlike my last visit over Labor Day, the weather was fine, so I launched on the Florida Bay side and began paddling towards Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park, about a mile away. Time, 12:20.

Nothing to exciting on the paddle to the Island. Other than being in the Keys, in the kayak, on my way to the wedding. I assume the Non-Combustion Zone is to protect seagrass beds.




No way I could land here, so I searched for a more suitable site. Proof pelicans can't read.
I paddled north past the dock, and finding no landing area, turned back. South past the main dock is a smaller one for the Park Service boat. Next to it is a sign, "Kayak Landing" So I did. Saw the first of many cannons I'd see over the next few days.
I made the crossing in under 45 minutes.

This coral rock house was built in 1919, and is furnished as if it still were that time. As I gazed at the furnishings, recollecting my Grandmother Cannon's home, a ranger came in and told me the tour was not until 2:00. The ranger led tour is the only way to walk the Island's trails. As I had places to go and people to see, I declined waiting 45 minutes, for what would have been a private tour. Also, I did not have the dollar fee. There is no fee to visit the Key, just for the tour. I did get a bit of information from the ranger. I asked if the cannons were from Fort Zachary Taylor, in Key West. A large cache has been found there, and I thought the cannons may have been distributed to other Keys State Parks. Not so. The cannons at Lignumvitae Key are from the HMS Winchester.

Back in the kayak, I set course back to Indian Key Fill.

Past the cormorants again.

Under the bridge at the south end of Indian Key Fill, as fellow paddlers drove across.
On my way to Indian Key. In 1836, this 10 acre island was the county seat of the newly formed Dade County.
The crossing to Indian Key is shorter than the crossing to Lignumvitae, about 3/4 of a mile from the Overseas Highway. Very few boats were out this Friday afternoon. I missed something big jumping, just seeing the splash on my right. Took this photo at 2:05.
I circled the Key, looking for a spot to land so I could explore the remains of the community that was once here. It was burned down during an Indian raid in 1840.
I was unable to find an appropriate spot, the entire shore made up of hard, dead coral.
The coral is the reason Indian Key was established as a town. Back in the 1830's, there wasn't a lighthouse on the offshore reef.
That meant shipwrecks. Salvaging the ships was a lucrative business, with "wreckers" licensed by the government. Key West was the main wrecking port. Indian Key was established as a competing location by Jacob Houseman. If transport moved in big kayaks, perhaps reefs would be less of a problem.




Back to Indian Key Fill.



"Fill" by the way is an artificial island built as part of Henry Flagler's railroad.












I landed at 2:30, a nice 2 hour kayaking break on the long drive. Time to head south, the rehearsal dinner/pig roast was set for 4:00 at the Cow Key Marina on Stock Island. Aaron's step-dad, Scott, operates his guide business out of the Marina http://www.almostthere.net/company_bio.html. Aaron is the best flats guide in the Keys.


I arrived around 4:15, 4:30 after the long slow drive. No one is in a hurry on US 1, at least no one in front of me was. No matter, I arrived in plenty of time. I got so involved in catching up with family, old and new, I forgot to take a sunset photo.
Did catch some fading light. Now it was time to take more wild life photos.

































The pig, beans and rice, coleslaw and bread were delightful. So was the company. Future kayak blogger?










Mother of the bride.


I only have captions on a few of these, as you know who you are.

A group of us ended the evening at the house where brother Pat and cousin Ty were staying with their families. Cousin Michael, hearing brothers Chris, Pat, Andy, and I discuss/argue about various things, said we gave him insight on how his three sons get along. Michael has no siblings, so his cousins set a good example. Or is that a bad one?

I left for my sleeping quarters, a room at a house next door to nephew Arlo's. The site of the wedding reception, Love Lane.

No comments: