Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mosquito Lagoon Canaveral National Seashore

I visited the Canaveral National Seashore today, Sunday, November 15, 2009. First visit since October 11. The parking lot at the canoe/kayak launch was full when I arrived. So, I dropped off the kayak, then parked in the next lot down the one way Eldora Loop Road. I tried to find a short cut through the coastal hammock back to the launch site. Not that one is needed, its under a quarter mile. There is no short cut, walk the road back to the launch site. Or drive the one way road to the parking lot before the launch parking lot. Your walk will be about the same distance, and you won't have to drive the 2 mile loop after the paddle.




My launch was delayed further, as 2 guys in a canoe landed. The launch site is a narrow gap in the mangroves. I told the canoe campers their timing was perfect, as another paddler waiting to put in and I helped unload the canoe so we could get going.


It was 10:40 when I began paddling. I set my course north, into the wind. Usually, I paddle on the east side of the Lagoon. But, I saw what looked like large birds roosting to the west, so I paddled across the Lagoon. Not all the way across, just to one of many islands. My birds turned out to be dried palm fronds. But, I did see other fowl.



















Mosquito Lagoon is full of islands. The one I was paddling past was mostly low grasses with a few clumps of trees. A medium sized land area, between two named islands, Orange and Shipyard. I reached Shipyard, paddling along its eastern edge. I thought of going to Bethune Park to look for manatees, but decided to get out of the wind. So I entered Shipyard Island through the a channel marked by 2 PCV pipes. The start of the Shipyard Island Trail.







The Trail is marked with numbers and arrows on posts. I think a few are missing as there are major gaps between gaps. One is at a a small lake in the middle of the Island. I know to turn right, but the distant arrow is not visible when entering the lake, at least to me. Maps are available at the Visitor Center. If paddling Shipyard for the first time, get one. I have several gather over the years, but forget to bring them.









My last paddle through Shipyard was the first one in a while that I actually paddled the Trail as marked. Not so this time. I came to a T intersection and turned left. A right turn must be the way to stay on the Trail, as I soon saw open water. I was on the north end of the Island. I've paddled out of the Island here before, others times turned back as oyster bars block the way. Today, the water was plenty deep. In the interior of the Island, water levels also were high, areas usually dry were covered. I exited the Island, entering the windy and choppy Lagoon. Past a primitive campsite. A bald eagle flew overhead, just before I crossed the main channel to Bethune Park. Where I saw two manatees.













I left the cove at the Park, and headed back south, with the wind. Uncrowded on a beautiful day. For a while the only other craft I saw was a paddleboard. Out paths crossed and I said to the paddler it must be hard paddling into the wind. "that's why I went the other way first" I should clarify, she was standing up, with one long paddle on what looked like an old fashioned long surf board. Then I saw the first dolphin of the day. A great view as it burst out of the water pursuing fish. I was not quick enough to get a photo.











Across the Lagoon, a bird perched on a tall dead tree. At a distance, hard to tell what it was, but the eagle I saw earlier had been headed that direction. So, I paddled across. If it was only a vulture, I'd turn back. It was an adult bald eagle.












I rarely see bald eagles while paddling the Lagoon, so seeing this big one close up was a treat.











I set course back across the Lagoon to Turtle Mound.
Upon reaching it, I strode the boardwalk to the top, overlooking the Ocean
and the Lagoon. As I walked back to my kayak, I noticed dual tire tracks in the sand. Stroller? Fishing gear cart? Kayak cart? This would be a good place to put in. Parking on the road, 8-10 spaces, then a boardwalk, than 20-30 yards across sand and grass to the water. I sat at a picnic table, ate a sandwich, then reentered the Lagoon. Paddled past my launch point, looking for manatees in areas where I've seen them before, the old dock pilings between the fishing dock and the Eldora dock. None. But, in the channel leading west from Eldora, dolphins.





I had a chance to get my first picture with 4 dolphins in it. Had to settle for three as I followed a quartet into the channel. Where more fed, occasional tail standing perpendicular to the water.





I now was paddling into the wind, so I turned around. Let the wind push me past the research dock where a project to replenish oyster beds is underway. To the little coves where I sometime see manatees. Saw none, I have a feeling most manatees have headed toward warmer sites to prepare for winter. The two at Bethune Park could be stragglers. With air temps in the low eighties and water in the 70's they have time before finding warmer water. Saw another eagle overhead, I bet the same one.

I found my starting point about 3:45. A kayak angler, who had been out since 6 am said he had never seen the Lagoon so high. I also had noted the high water, and thought it was just the high point before the dry season take old. He said it was due to the recent weather, the strong north wind pushing water through the inlets at the north end of the Lagoon and Indian River. Seems like a good explanation.






I had my bike in the car, recently tuned up. Did a short ride on the loop. One disappointment. The bracket on the handlebar to insert my odometer was missing. As were the wires leading down the fork. I had not looked at the bike closely when I picked it up. The guy at a shop gave me a bag with the" old parts". I thought all it had was the old front derailleur, and cables. It must have had the odometer parts as well. I had kept the bag for a while, then, thinking I had no need for it, tossed it out. I need to call the bike shop and see what they can do. I have no idea why they even removed the odometer parts and failed to replace it. Stopped for a beach view.

Put the bikein the car and finished the day with a walk on the Eldora Hammock Trail.





The teperate and tropic zones converge at the Canaveral National Seashore, so live oak, palms an gumbo limbo share the frame.

No comments: