Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rock Springs Run

  • Kayaked Rock Springs Run this morning, Wednesday, February 24, 2010. It had been three weeks since my last visit. Lots of turkeys in Wekiva Springs State Park. On the grassy hill above the Springs and the dirt slope to the launch area.









  • Into the Wekiva River at 7:45.













    To Rock Springs Run. Limpkin, a buck, and wood ducks.










    I paddled for 90 minutes, going past Big Buck, (campsite, not the deer I saw)not quite to the big pine tree, shown here. Saw two more deer between Otter Camp and the big hollow cypress tree. To deep in the forest for pictures.














    Saw one alligator. Heard it before I saw it, loudly growling on the bank. Back to the Wekiva.




    Into the lagoon












    One other canoe on the water, a second going out as I landed at 10:45. Plenty of time for a snorkel in the Spring before leaving for work.







    I learned the "underwater" button on the camera really works. The first three underwater pics were taken with the camera stilll on "night" mode from an overcast morning.

    3 comments:

    The Florida Blogger said...

    I've been seeing quite a few gobblers along the side of the road on the 429 out near Narcoosee.

    Dave said...

    Welcome home, Alan. Although, a glance at Suwannee Refugee (check it out if you are a fan of what makes Florida unique)shows you've been out of Africa for a while.

    Did you mean the 417? Or 15? I thought Narcossee was to the southeast of Orlando, and the 429, Western Xway, west.

    The Florida Blogger said...

    You're right, Dave, it is the 417. I live close to the 429 and got mixed up.

    Yeah, I've been home from Africa for about two and a half months. Its good to be back in the Great State. I''m looking forward to the waters warming up so that I can get my sit-on-top yak in the water.