Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter From Blackwater Creek


If the title sounds familiar, I also spent Christmas on Blackwater Creek. http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2009/12/merry-christmas-from-blackwater-creek.html

Once again, I planned to camp at the Moccasin Springs site on the bank of Blackwater Creek. "Planned " being the operative word. I reserved the site back in February. At the time, I was told if the Creek was high, I could camp in the parking area, up a 150 yard slope from the site. We have had a lot of rain this year, 8 inches over "normal" on top of above average rain in 2009. About three inches came down last Sunday and Monday. I figured I'd pitch the tent at the car, and walk down to use the grill and launch the yak.









What's the point in camping if you can't have a campfire? We are not even in the rainy season, I don't think anyone will be camping here for a while. I decided to make this a day trip and drove to the day use launch area. In the Creek just past eight.
I bet if I had been on the Creek Tuesday through Thursday I would not have made it under the bridge. As it was, I had to lay my head on the cockpit to make it.























With the Creek flowing deep into the forest, it wasn't a great day for wildlife viewing. The view, in general, was outstanding.












One person on Blackwater Creek, a guy in jon boat fishing. Just the second time I've seen a motor boat on the Creek. The other, my first visit in March, 2005 when water levels were high from the 2004 hurricanes. He said there were some big alligators near, and in the Wekiva River.
The first gator was in the Creek, the next two, Wekiva River

















There were some very big gators out. The biggest ones in Blackwater Creek. I had forgotten how many huge gators the Creek contains.
I shared the Wekiva with motorboats, not many, and all but one slowed when seeing me. About a third of the distance from the mouth of Blackwater Creek at the Wekiva to the mouth of the Wekiva at the St Johns is a manatee zone. I did not see any, they are more common here as it gets warmer. The guy I saw on Blackwater passed. I asked how he got past an obstacle on Blackwater Creek. A downed tree. I tried to go under the trunk, but it was too low. So I forced my way through. The boater said he just "powered through" on the way up the Creek, but on the way back, he took out a saw and made a hole. That was nice. I paddled to the St Johns, saw the fast boats, decided it was no place for a kayak,and turned around. I had been going down stream, now I was going against the current. Perhaps we need a name change. Higher Wekiva River. Back to Blackwater Creek.












I wish I had a better shot of the above pair. The one entering the water was HUGE. Probably go that way by avoiding people. He, I assume it was he, was much bigger than his gal, again, I'm assuming, but mating season is beginning, below.












I stopped for lunch about 1:oo, on one of few places available to land.



























I think this is my first photo of a Florida softshell turtle.


I, and you, dear reader, have seen plenty hard shells.
Blackwater Creek runneth over.
The Florida National Scenic Trail passes through the Seminole State Forest, A campsite for trail users is on the Creek bank, just downstream of the bridge. I landed to check it out.

High and dry. If I saw a Forest official, I was going to ask if I could leave the car at the day use area, paddle to the site, and camp. But, I never saw a ranger. Few people at all in the forest. Two guys fishing on the bridge when I drove in, a couple fishing from a canoe, a few bikers and hikers. Alligator across from the above campsite.
I ducked under the bridge, and paddle past the launch site, to my campsite.
On Christmas, my tent was just about where the kayak is. I continued up Creek, turned back at 3:30, landed about 4:15.
Got the yak on the car, then hiked one of the trails in the Forest, the Sulphur Island Loop. Or that was my intention. I started out on the wrong trail, a horse trail. Loose, fine sand.
Not a great walking surface. Here is the trail I should have been on. I was hoping to see deer, or even bear. No luck on my two mile or so hike. Got in the car, slowly drove on some of the Forest roads, but no major mammals. I'll go back tomorrow. After all, I'm camping, and don't have to leave until 2 pm.

2 comments:

chiefg said...

I have seen bear and deer in the Seminole. They usually are in the area that you camped at. The time of day is what is important, usually early morning(sunrise time) or about 45 min prior to sunset.Other times of the day I do not run into much, maybe I might surprise a deer but usually most of the wildlife relocate deeper into the woods. Thanks for the Blackwater update.

Dave said...

I saw two bears Christmas Eve. As you say, near sunset, and close to the campsite. One on Loop Road, the other on the horse trail.