Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Blackwater Creeek


As long as my State Forest Use Permit is good until May 31, I may as well use it. Visited the Seminole State Forest after work today, Tuesday, March 25, 2010. Left work just before 5:30, in Blackwater Creek just before 6:30.
The only large alligator photo of the evening. Not the only large alligator, I saw several. When they saw me, BAM! into the water. One may have been the mother of these youngsters.




No more animal pics. Saw one great blue heron, one deer, a few pileated woodpeckers, wood ducks and assorted song birds.






So, all I have is these scenic shots of Blackwater Creek.




















I went down Creek for 50 minutes. Went past the launch site a short way on the way back, landing about 8:10. Had enough light to stay out until 8:30. Not enough bug spray, It was at home, in a cooler, not in the car. Saw another deer as I put the yak on the car. Just a glimpse as it ran through the woods across the road from the launch site. With the near full moon, I could have stayed longer.


Well, not really, as I had to be out of the Forest at sunset. Seen here at Bear Pond.
Programing note. I may not post another Tale until Wednesday. Not tomorrow, but a week from tomorrow. The yak is still on the car, I may get a quick Lake Maitland- Minnehaha paddle tomorrow. Maybe a last visit to Blackwater Creek, Friday, after work. But, as I want to get up early Saturday, I may not. Going to Key West. Visit family, kayak, pick up a new trail bike at my nephew's shop. http://www.recyclekw.com/index.html

Then, Miami Monday and Tuesday. Brewers v. Marlins. Staying in a cabin at Oleta River State Park. In North Miami, less than 10 miles from the ballpark. A new place for Dave's Yak Tales. Trails to break in the new bike.

Next Wednesday, I'll stop somewhere on the way home. Looks like I'll have a lot to tell you about. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great solitary paddle there, Dave. Almost spooky in a way.

I'm looking forward to the new tale. I am starting to follow you around, on foot, bec. of the pics you post.

Have a great time on your trip!

Dave said...

g365, I'll look behind me for you and Mr. B.