Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rock Springs Run

I got a three hour, ten minute paddle in this morning, Wednesday, November 10, 2010.
Turkeys greeted me as I maneuvered the kayak to the launch site.  Into the Wekiva River at 7:35.




Water warmer than air results fog.  I wore a windbreaker over my t-shirt.  Swim trunks.



Beautiful morning, with the early start I thought I'd see a lot of deer, but the dreaded sound of an airboat dashed my hopes.  It was ahead of me, I assumed it was a guy spraying herbicide on the exotic plants.  It was.  He stopped, let me pass.  Why can't the State use an electric motor?   How does the herbicide only kill exotics, and not native plants.  What affect does it have on the deer and other animals?  I don't know, just asking.  I did see a deer when I got to the second open section.  Not the one in the first photo.  This was a ways up Rock Springs Run.  I took a photo, missed.  This is my turn around point.  Upstream of Big Buck, at the big pine tree.

Made the turn at 10 after 9.


Third, and final deer of the morning.


Encountered the airboat again here, in the canopied area. For an airboat, it wasn't painfully noisy. Just awfully.  At least the operator was courteous.





One canoe came up the Run as I neared the Wekiva River.  On the Wekiva, 3 canoes. I was asked if I had seen any alligators.  "Not yet"   A moment later I thought I should have told them to look on the other side of the yellow boom when they returned.




The herons and egrets will need to find a new perch. A mechanical weed eating machine arrived at Wekiwa Springs Park this morning.  The workers said they will spend the next three days removing the hydrilla.  One said, "I'm surprised there is so much after we removed it last year"

The turkeys were still on the hill above the spring.
Finished the morning with a brief snorkel.


For those of you thinking, I thought you said Thursday was going to be your weekday kayak day.  It is, usually.  But, I'm taking Friday off, and did not want to work late the day before my birthday.  I'm probably going to Crystal River, stay at the Kings Bay Lodge,yak the Crystal, Weeki Wachee, Chassahowitzka, maybe the Homosassa.  Chances are I'll have a manatee pic or two to post when I return Sunday.

No comments: