Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, January 24, 2011

Pine Island, Day 2

Sunday, January 23, 2011. Day 2 of my three day weekend on Pine Island. A nice five hour plus paddle. Back in time for kickoff. The Pack needs to take advantage of opportunities. 7-0, early 2nd quarter. Make that 14.

In the water a little after nine. Low tide, so bit of walk to floatable depth. Saturday, I went east, then north from my position at the south end of Pine Island. Today, west, then north. Then south. North. South. North. South. I’ll explain in the course of this Tale.

My basic map shows three islands at the southwest tip of Pine Island. One is named, York Island. I paddled past a residential canal and then into the channel between York and an unnamed (at least on my map) island.

The channel opened into a wide, shallow area. Feeding time for wading birds.

So shallow I had to turn around, back to the channel, through a gap, and into deeper water.
Had I not had to turn around, I would have missed a not yet bald eagle flying overhead.

I wasn’t so deep as the tug and barge.

Pine Island Sound was shallow even far from shore. I had to make an effort to find deep water.

Deep enough for some effing brown pelicans. Using the F word as a verb, not an adjective.

Lots of white birds all around. In the water, on oyster bars, on a series of off shore keys. Too far to see if egrets, pelicans, or ibis. These great egrets were on the Pine Island side.

The homes on Galt Island. Attached to the mainland by a mangrove lined causeway. I went around the island, wondering if there was a bridge I could paddle under.

No bridge, but I saw plenty of birds as I zig zagged through the mangroves. Finally, I came to a dead end, and had to turn around. 21-7 Pack!! With all the twists and turns, I wondered, for a moment or two, if I would find my way back. Obviously, I did.

I thought the manatee sign I saw earlier was one of a kind. Turns out they are all around Galt Island. Too cool for live manatees. Super Bowl!!!

Not sure if the cormorants got the environmental protection message.

Paddling back, I thought I was in the same channel at York Island. Until I saw a sailboat moored. Well, that could have happened since I came through. But not the second and third boat. I was in the inner channel. Came out at the same spot I had entered the other channel in the morning, at the there islands. That junction and a boat channel mean lots of fish for a pod of five, maybe six, dolphins.

I spent the next 45 minutes taking pictures.

The dolphins stayed in the area. All I had to do was keep alert for boats, as the feeding frenzy was happening in the boat channel. Only two boats came in.

 Dolphin, sailboat, causeway. There’s a Lee Island Coast promo photo.

All these pics, and I missed several tail shots. Looked like one of the dolphins was slapping the water to stun its prey.
They were so close, I looked several of the dolphins in the eye.

I caught this one exhaling on its partner.

I think I caught this one’s eye.

The dolphins must have ate or scared off the fish. They moved on. To the next canal, the one closest to my lodgings.

I could have kept taking pics, but I think you’ll agree, I have enough. Besides, it was 2:40 and I had a Packer NFC Championship game to watch.

1 comment:

The Florida Blogger said...

This is where I go mullet fishing every fall. Real nice place!