Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha



Got in an hour fifty minutes on the lakes this morning, Wednesday, January 5, 2011.  Had the annual termite inspection before heading out.  Gave me incentive to clean the house a little. Very little, I'd rather spend my free time on the water.


Thank you for your patience if you were wondering where the rest of the Tale was.  Blogger was not working last, Wednesday, night.  An eternal spinning wheel when I tried to download photos.  A click on the help forums showed it was not just me. Hopefully that won't happen again.




I launched from Fort Maitland Park at 9:10.  A bit of the late start, but the nice thing about this local paddle is I can get annual termite inspection completed and still get almost 2 hours on the lakes before heading to work.



Did the usual paddle, into Lake Maitland, to the canal and Lake Nina, on to Lake Minnehaha.





 A juvenile bald eagle flew overhead as I paddled the canal.  It landed, briefly, in one of the trees on the left, west bank, then took off again.  I hoped it would land on one of the trees on the south side of Lake Nina, but I did not see it again.






If you have been following these Tales for a while, you know that these lakes are full of anhingas.  I decided to photo every one.





I did not take a picture of every anhinga.




I have great blue herons, great egrets, coots, wood ducks, tri colored herons and moorhens mixed in, but anhingas are by far the most prevalent bird on these lakes.




I did photo most of the anhingas and have posted nearly all of them.






It was a beautiful morning, temps in the high 60's to low 70's.  A few fishing boats on the water.






 

No comments: