Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, October 21, 2011

Kings Bay, Crystal Bay

Today, Friday, October 21, 2011 was the day this month I worked half a day.  I work the other half day tomorrow.  Coolest temperatures of the year.  Forecast for Crystal River was in the 40's early, rising to the low 70's  in the afternoon.  Checking Weather Underground now, the morning low was 40.   I checked the tide tables.  Low tide at 3:26. Perfect for me, leaving work at 1:00.   Still, I was not set on going to Crystal River.  Did I want to drive 90 miles, kayak, snorkel, drive home, start a Tale, and go to work at 8:00 am?   Deer season on Rock Springs Run. I don't mean hunting, I mean they are active.  A much shorter drive.  I got out of the parking lot, and thought, I'll paddle RSR, Sunday.  Wekiva, from Katie's Landing, Saturday.  This may, and likely will, change.  So, I turned left, instead of right, and made my way to Hunter Spring Park in Crystal River.  In the water at 3:05.



The launch site is the bank.  With low tide, there was a nice sandy area.  I set out down the spring run, not checking out the namesake spring which is just up stream of the launch site.  As mentioned in prior Crystal River, Kings Bay, Tales, the spring runs on Kings Bay are highly developed.   Lined with homes, not trees. But, there is wildlife.


 The big attraction in Kings Bay is manatees.  That's why I was here.  Figured the cool night would have brought a few to the many springs that dot the Bay.  Entering Kings Bay, two manatee tour boats were to the right.  Lots of wetsuited snorkelers in the water.  Paddling past Petes Pier, the local marina, a large manatee swam by.   The first of several I would see.
 No manatee in the above pic, just a snapper in the lower right corner.  I was on my way to Three Sisters Springs. To get there, paddle south past Petes Pier.  Go under the bridge on you left.   I made the next left, into the Magnolia Springs run/canal.   Just inside the canal, on the left, is a spring.  Not sure of the name.  Concrete retaining walls on three sides, a rope with duck decoys across the entrance.  I paddled in, lowered the camera over the side, and took the picture.  Took 3, this one turned out.   The house has a For Sale sign.  I need to buy a lottery ticket.
Magnolia Spring Run is an upside down U shape.  Magnolia Spring is past the second curve.  One, maybe two, its been a long day, tour boats were nearby. Snorkelers in the water. The distant dots in the photo above.  About 8 manatees.  The one from the opening photo is from this group. Saw another manatee across from Three Sisters Springs

A big change to Three Sisters Spring since my last visit, Christmas Day, 2010.

 A boardwalk, staring at the entrance to the Springs, and extending around the Three Sisters.
  People will be able to observe wintering manatees. Or just enjoy the view.   But not for two years, according to this http://www.savethreesisters.org/article16.html   I donated to the Save Three Sisters cause a few years ago.




 No manatees here today.  Three other kayakers in the Springs.  On my way out, one of the tour boat groups I saw at Magnolia Springs were snorkeling in.  Not very well.  Kids, and as kids are apt to do, paying absolutely no attention to anything but what is a foot in front of them.  Fortunately, I was paying attention.  "Was I that dumb as a kid?"  I queried the adults following the kids.  "Probably", answering my own question.



Back to Magnolia Springs.  No boats around.  Saw a manatee surface.  I anchored close too, not on, the bank.  That's why I was glad low tide was a 3:26.  One more change to the area since December.  Then,  Wildlife Refuge "Blue Goose" signs had been place about every 15 yards around the Three Sisters property, which starts at Magnolia Spring.  Now, all those sign posts have an additional, "Keep of the Bank, Erosion" sign.   I anchored in front of one.  As I got ready, two manatees, mother and calf, floated about 10 feet away, watching and waiting.





I did not see the little one again.  The water was a bit cloudy, but I got a few photos. Got out of the water as another tour boat entered the area.  Perfect timing. More manatees as I paddled through the canal.


Made my way back to Kings Bay.  Which was pretty choppy.  But, I wanted to snorkel Kings Spring, so into the chop I went.  Saw more manatees, but this is the only photo before I got to King Spring.

King Spring is the largest spring in Kings Bay  On the south side of Banana Island, the area around it is a winter manatee refuge.  I anchored near shore, again in front of a NWR Blue Goose sign.  Won't be able to do this after November 15 when the Manatee Refuge goes into place.  Or earlier, if, like last year, there is an early cold snap.




Lots of snapper.

 And mullet.

And the occasional sheepshead.  I wondered were the big fish were, and a four foot tarpon swam by.  Disappeared into cloudy water before I got a photo.

Back into the kayak, I resumed my course around Banana Island.  But, the wind was in my face, so, I turned around.
Belted kingfisher
Sign at the entrance to King Spring.  A shame people have to be told the obvious.



Grooming osprey.




Great blue heron, sun in my face.

Sun behind me.



I took the above picture because it makes such a big deal about a 6 passenger tour being, "Private".  As opposed to what local kayakers call tour boats. "Cattle barges"
I saw several more manatees in Kings Bay.  One I didn't see.  Paddling along, thinking about the day, talking to myself- what, you don't when yaking alone?- holy schmidt!  never saw the manatee, but I got a good ride as it rocked my world. 

It was getting late, Hunter Spring Park closes at sundown, and has a locked gate.  I've left once as a park worker cooled his heels waiting for me to go.  No big deal, the big deal was the bathroom was locked.  If I paddled fast today, I'd get one more look at Three Sisters Springs.




 Never made it.  Watched a group of manatees just past the first spring in the Magnolia Springs run/canal





Two videos for your viewing pleasure.


Making my way back to Hunter Spring Park.


Landed at 6:50. Bathroom unlocked.








No comments: