Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Kayaking, Biking, Camping, Seminole State Forest.

Last Sunday, I signed off with " Hopefully, I'll see, and photo, a bear."   See the black shape?  That's a bear.  Saturday afternoon from my bike.  I did not think I got a photo, but going through the pics to pick which one I'd use for the coveted first photo, there it was.

A few weeks ago, January 19, to be exact, I made an inquiry as to the next Saturday the Moccasin Spring Campsite would be available. The answer, Feb 4, and then not until April. So, I grabbed it. Not a weekend I would have picked, given a choice. Because of the Super Bowl. But, not for the reason you may be thinking. Super Bowl Sunday is a great day to paddle a usually busy location. Which Blackwater Creek is not. I like to come here on summer holidays. Memorial Day, the 4th, Labor Day, to avoid crowds


Locking the gate behind me helps crowd control.

7:18 am.  3.6 miles to the campsite.


Parking is a 100 yards or so from the campsite. A kayak can double as a camping gear cart.

On Blackwater Creek at 8:37


Day use launch area, 8:55
I let the current do most of the work.
Just missed two otters.


The Creek is low, even for winter, but easily paddled.




But, vegetation does cross Blackwater in a few spots, the wide area with the makeshift bench on the left bank, for example. All but one section have narrow passages, the exception is short and easily paddled through.
Its good to have a big brother.

This was going to be the opening photo until I broke out the magnifying glass and saw the bear.



There were several spots with little gators, the last, just before my break spot, reached at 10:40
I ate half a sandwich and a cookie, than continued my trip.



Entering ibis alley.


My first time paddling Blackwater Creek, I wrote:
They confirmed I actually was on the Wekiva, when in response to the question of where I came from, I answered, "Seminole Forest". They asked me about my trip down the Creek, the deadfalls, ect. I was glad I did not have to ask, "ahh, is this the Wekiva?" I thought I was, based on increased width, current, and direction, but it was not like there was a highway sign "Wekiva, Next Left".

But, there is a Blackwater Creek sign.
Not quite a highway sign. There are two entrances to Blackwater Creek from the Wekiva River. If you see this sign, you took the harder one. I was here intentionally, as I’ve often seen a black crowned night heron here. Not today. I turned around, headed for the easier exit.



Into the Wekiva River 11:30.  I went left, down River.






It's about a mile, maybe more, from Blackwater Creek to the St. Johns River. More if like me, you take scenic detours.



Two coves full of young gators.



Boat traffic was heavy, for the Wekiva.   By "heavy" I mean 10 boats, tops.  All either fishing or traveling slowly.  Even outside the Manatee Zone.  I thought it may be warm enough to see a manatee as I made my way towards the St Johns.



I finished my sandwich as I paddled.



No manatees in the Wekiva.  None that I saw, that is.   A bald eagle is sometimes in a tree just into the St. Johns River.  I took a look.

It was not there.  This part of the St. Johns is not a good kayaking section.  Fast moving boats in the main channel.  They are supposed to maintain Slow Speed outside the channel, due to manatees.   I turned around. 12:35.  On the water four hours, time to head back.  A boat zoomed by,  I tried to reach the safety of the Wekiva before its wake reached me.  Unable to do so.  But, I may not have seen the manatee snout pop up between the waves had I not reached that spot by paddling hard.  I waited for it to come up again. It did not, at least as I was watching.

The  Wekiva is to the right, St Johns, left.






The same family was still fishing at the mouth of Blackwater Creek when I returned at 1:35.










I had to take the fugal pics for someone who has a lichen for them.  Took a break at 2:10, usual spot.

Had an apple and a cookie, walked around, put some jerky in the PFD pocket for later, and got back in the kayak.



Lots of photogenic little alligators.



The piggy, or gator back ride, was over.



I passed the day use launch site, the final stretch to my campsite.  Came around a bend, was a tent in the distance.  What? that's not mine.  As there is no other spot to camp, had some interloper put his tent on my site?   Nope, it was my tent.  I had failed to secure the rain fly, and it blew off.
Arrived "home" at 4:25.   Family and long time friends will appreciate the photo number. 2810. 

Seen not photoed. Limpkin, sandhill crane, red shouldered hawk, cardinal. barred owl, pileated wood pecker, red belied wood pecker, wood duck, hooded merganser. A handsome marganser male, with the big white spot on its head. Several females, one with its head feather raised up Mowhak fashion. First time I've see that.



I downloaded the photos I did have, drafted the beginning of this Tale, prepared the grill, and firepit, did not light them, and went for a bike ride. Moccasin Spring, just a few steps from my tent.
The posts are from an old logging road.  Lumber barons had the same respect for the land as the current Florida legislature.  None.
http://audubonoffloridanews.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/OHWL_diagram_audubon.jpg   I've written to oppose this landgrab.
 Off the soapbox, on the bike.


There are three primitive general use campsites in Seminole State Forest.  I passed the one closest to me, the Oaks site.  Almost a mile from me. Occupied.  Not on the water.  It does have an outhouse.  There are other sites, but they are for Florida Trail hikers.
On my 4.6 mile ride, I saw a few birds, and, oh yeah, a bear.




I fired up the grill, put a cheap steak on top, foil wrapped potatoes, carrots and onions on the coals.  I microwave the potato in the morning to save cooking time.
Ate, went for a short night walk, watched the fire, before turning in about 10.
Slept like a baby. Woke up hourly, or maybe did not sleep.  After a two hour gap between looking at my watch, I rolled out of the tent for good a little after 7.   Started the grill, put the coffee on, waited for the flames to go down,  went for a short walk.


Campsite view.  I first found Moccasin Spring on July 4, 2008. The Yak Tale states
 "I think I may be camping here someday. For me, this site is better than the primitive sites on Rock Springs Run and Wekiva. More amenities, I can drive to it"   I did not have a tent back then.  This weekend was my fourth overnight.

Breakfast with a view. A better photographer would not have put the shopping bag and tent in the way of the Creek.  Fortified, I hoped on the bike for a springs ride.  Moccasin Springs is one of three in the Forest.  The easiest to find.  Palm Springs is the most secluded.
You need to get off the bike, walk on a horse trail, to a ravine, and climb down.  I've found it before, and did again.
Found the run, not the source.  So, up the hill.
Down one false trail, found another path, which took me to the spring.
 Palm Spring has a slight sulphur odor.
Back up the hill.
No vehicles on the horse trail.  Not that I could ride in the loose soil.  I walked my bike back to the Forest Road.
Back on the bike, past Oaks Pond.

Which from the looks of it, is man made.  Dug out to build the forest roads is my guess. Saw turkeys, hawks. No bear, or deer.  The last hunting weekend of the season was last weekend,  so the deer may be in hiding.
Shark Tooth Spring is near one of the Florida Trail campsites.

 I don't recall seeing this sign before.  If I were a hiker, I'd treat water from the spring.  Rather than trust a hand written sign that declares it "potable"



Back to my campsite.  A pickup parked next to my car.  I asked a kid, are you camping?  No, hiking.  And swimming in the spring.  Which is not allowed.  Or practical.  Father and brother walked up the trail, dry.  Lesson learned.  Not all springs are swimmable.
I was in the yak at 10:45.  Paddled up Creek.


To the usual obstacle.  The first time I paddled this far up Blackwater, I pulled and angled myself past this.  Only to find another, more difficult roadblock. Since then, I turn back here.   Just under 30 minutes from Moccasin Spring.

 A promising looking branch (Creek), until the above branch (tree)
Had this been a stand alone Tale for Sunday, this guy would have top billing.




Past the campsite.



I thought I'd go just past the Florida Trail campsite, maybe see the otters I saw Saturday and on my last visit to Blackwater Creek.   Here's the campsite.
And the big gator that is often nearby.
It sensed me coming, and dove in.  I turned around.







Landed at 12:45.  Sat down, had a couple cookies and an apple, broke camp.  Kayak loaded and ready to pull to the car.  1:25.  Overloaded, despite two trips with stuff earlier.  The left wheel of the cart fell off three times. 
Small price to pay.  Just emailed the Forest, asking if the April weekend, Easter is still available.  Had to do it before posting the complete Tale, so none of my readers grab it first.  ;)

5 comments:

Joanne said...

glad you saw a bear! and I bet you'll see more.
The piggy-back gators are wonderful, my favorite.
I really should camp there. Soon.

Octohawk said...

Oh I love the tandem gators!

Brenda M said...

"Has a lichen for them"? LOL!!

Luis said...

You do really know how to enjoy the outdoors.

Dave said...

Brenda, I have to credit my friend for planting the idea. Her first time on Blackwater Creek, she said she wanted to publish a book. "There's A Fungus Among Us and I'm Lichen It!"


My reservation was accepted, I'll be back Easter weekend.