Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Blue Spring Snake Creek Loop

If I can trust the search function on Dave's Yak Tales, I had not been to Blue Spring State Park since January 29, 2012.  So, it was a good choice after work today.  I saw a lot of osprey.  On the Lake Jessup bridge.  My new work site had me take the 417 Toll road.  A route I rarely use, although I was one of the first to use it.  In a 5k when it opened, years ago.   Lake Jessup is a wide oxbow on the St. Johns River.  I launched onto the St. Johns from Blue Springs State Park at 1:24.

The usual cormorants at the mouth of Blue Springs Run.  I paddled past, and across to the island on the west side of the St. Johns.

Still on the St. Johns, I missed a classic Florida photo.  Alligator on a log, mouth agape.  For some reason, the camera did not work.  Maybe I pressed the on/off instead of  the shutter button.  By the time I recovered, it slid off the log.
Behind Mari Gator Island.   So named by me on Fat Tuesday, 2006 when I saw a huge alligator on the shore west of the island off French Ave.
 
 
 
The island is up River of Blue Spring, Snake Creek is down.  I did not circle the island, but paddled i the area between it and the west shore.  Headed back towards Blue Spring.
The alligator I saw earlier remounted the log.  This time, I was ready.
 
 
 
 
Entering Snake Creek, 2:12.
 
Like all local water ways, it has plenty of water.  Too much, as a Boston Whaler came through just after I entered.  The only boat I saw on the Creek.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Into the Hontoon Dead River, 3:21.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just a few boats on the HDR.  Less than 5. No paddlers.
Into the northernmost of 3 canals that link the Hontoon Dead River to the St. Johns River.
4:03
After getting through Snake Creek with no problems, the canal presented a challenge.
 
 
Eastern phoebe
 
 
Return to the St. Johns, 4:53.
 
 
 
 
 
The entrance to the lagoon just up stream of Blue Spring was blocked.
Paddled up the Run
 
 
The clear spring water doesn't start to effect the Run until after the first overlook.  Or, last, depending on your perspective.
 
 
 The sign states "No Canoes or Boats Beyond This Point 11 AM to 5PM"   To give swimmers room.  I viewed the photo, 17:03.  That's how I tell time while in the kayak.  Continued up Run.
 
Blue Spring
Back down the Run
 
 
Landed at 5:35.
Welcoming committee.
By the time I got the kayak on the car it was 6 PM.  The Park closes at 7.  Instead of walking to the other end of the Park for a hurried swim,  I took a short hike on the nearby Pine Island Trail.
 
 
 
 A 30 minute stroll.
 
At 6:39, the sun was already behind the trees on the west bank of the St. Johns.
Last pic of the day. 6:50.  As I left the Park.  Stopped at the exit, looked left, before turning right and said.  Need to get this picture.
 
 

1 comment:

Luis said...

The 417 bridge over Lake Jesup should be named Osprey Bridge. They are the constant there. I have seen Bald Eagles too but the Ospreys rule there.