Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Night time at Haulover Canal

One good thing about the new work location.  It is 40.4 miles to Haulover Canal.  Off at 5:30. The first mile takes about 90 seconds. The second, 9-10 minutes.  Then a nice drive, highlighted by a bald eagle flying over the St. Johns River.
 
Launched from Bairs Cove at 6:48.  At the boat ramp instead of across the Canal on the dirt road.  Which closes after sunset.  Not that I have ever seen it enforced, but since I have a pass, and the Bairs Cove ramp is open 24/7, I may as well use it.   Wind piled up seagrass and manatee poop at the ramp.
I saw one manatee, but it went below as I snapped the shutter.  Which as night came, was frustratingly slow.

So I appreciated this dolphin staying near the surface.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A strong east wind kept me from paddling out to Mullet Head Island.  Flocks of birds flying to it tempted me, but I did not want to have a hard paddle back in the dark.
 
I was at Haulover Canal for dark.  Or, what happens on summer nights when it gets dark. Bioluminescence. The light show created by tiny organisms when they are disturbed.  By paddle, hand, fish,  Perhaps it is too late in the season,  the light show was not as good as I've experienced.  Some twinkling around my hands when I dipped them in the water.  Mullet school streaking near the kayak.  Splashing with my paddle did not create the usual effect.  Some points of light, but not the light wave I've seen before.  The moon phase was right, less than half, and it had not risen.  The real light show was in the sky.  Lots of stars. I dare say, "Billions upon billions"  Including a shooting star.
The only artifical light, besides my flashlight, is at the draw bridge.   Let me see a dolphin.  I could hear others in the darkness.
The Bair's Cove ramp is lit.  I was the only one there. No night time anglers, or kayakers.  I did see kayaks across the Canal when I arrived,  but never saw them in the water.
 
Saw a deer along Highway 50 on the way home.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Has the water gotten clear again over there?

Dave said...

Much better.

Luis said...

The Bio show was not too good last year when we tried it. But seeing, and hearing, dolphins in the darkness at Haulover Canal worths the trip there.