Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, March 18, 2013

Cedar Key Monday

The super vivid setting makes even a so so sunrise look good.




Out the door at 7:50 for the traditional last day in Cedar Key morning walk










Dock Street is full of sunrise viewing spots





The same scene as the opening photo, but camera on Auto, not super vivid









A nice frame can enhance a photo








My balcony. Both sets of chairs are part of 331.





Spoonbills on the oyster bar/wreck in the Number 2 Channel

'


I stood on this side of the Channel, Sunday. The end of the Railroad Trestle Nature Trail








 View from my door, 8:50
And, the balcony

I had more steak and clams then bread
 Had to save two pieces to make a sandwich.  I m having clam pasta tonight, Tuesday  And still have a lot left
Made my entry in the Unit logbook, and checked out.  It had rained overnight, an was still misting as I drove across the street.  It stopped by the time I pushed off at 11:20.  Tom, the rental guy, said to be careful, a windy forecast in the afternoon.  I knew that, but apreciated the advice.

Conditions were the best they had been all weekend.  So, I headed across to Astena Otie Key




The pier is always full of brown pelicans, cormorants, gulls, and terns







Got as close as I could.  Low tide and oyster beds





Hitchhiker

I finally saw a dolphin.  First in  6 days over my last two visits to Cedar Key.  Last saw one here on Christmas Day.  No photo





I paddled back towards Way Key, the key in the Cedar Keys where the City of Cedar Key is located, and continued paddling north east, along the shore of Scale Key.
 A bald eagle is barely visible.  I  need to ask for donations for a fancy camera.
  A distant beach looked like a good spot for a break.  I was not the only one who thought so.

 Fish and Wildlife Service air boat. I did not wave him down to arrest the kayaker who showed me handful of pottery shards he found in amongst the shells.  I should have asked how it feels to be a looter.



I was on Cedar Point  Go to the second page of the attachment for a map

My first time here.  Always new things to discover in the Cedar Keys.




I ate my sandwich, deprived future looters of artifacts by picking up a Coke can, and left.  It was getting crowded as three more kayaks landed.  One tandem landing very close to me. I may be crazy, but I think, on  a long, semi deserted beach, you land as far away from others as possible
I paddled on the north end of Scale Key


And found the pelican flock I had seen in the distance on Sunday









 Roseate spoonbills, bald eagles, dolphins, white pelicans.  Not a bad  day



Under the Number 3  Bridge



Cemetery Point overlook




Breeding plumage









 The wreck was higher in the water than I like it, but I took a chance and made it back to where spoonbills sometimes hang out.  Paddled on the Number 2 Bridge side of the wreck.  A  bit shallow at the second, or is it the third, turn.  But I knew that, took a wide berth, poked the paddle ahead of me to feel for oyster shells, and avoided them.  The spoonbills avoided me, saw none.  A black crowned night heron flew away, as they often do.




Back into the Gulf.  The wind had kicked up a little when I was paddling from Scale Key to the Number 3 bridge, but had died down.


 Landed at 4:30. Took my time getting the kayak on the car, using the restroom, ect., and left at 5.
Stopped the Number 4 Bridge to see if the great horned owl was guarding the nest. I did see it.  Or spot the babies.
I'll be back.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I haven't seen a roseate yet.

Luis said...

You really know how to have a vacation and a great weekend.