Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cape Canaveral National Seashore and New Smyrna Beach

Always good to have confirmation as to what I am looking at.

I woke up this morning, looked at the clock. 5:20.  I could roll over, or get up and see the sun rise over the Atlantic.  Well, I had to take a dump, so I couldn't just roll over.  After that I kept moving and was taking pictures in Bethune Beach at 6:30 AM.

 The Town of Bethune Beach is south of New Smyrna Beach and just north of the Canaveral National Seashore.  I was thinking of stopping at Mary McLeod Bethune Beach Park.  If I went the extra  mile to the National Seashore, stopped to pay, drove to the first parking lot, I might miss the sun rise.  Thinking I might miss it, I got off A1A and on to Atlantic Ave.   A short road east of A1A.  Just before it turns west, back to A1A there is a parking area and public beach access.   That is where I stopped.






I'll be yawning at work tomorrow,  but I'm glad I got up. Into the Seashore. Discovered they do not sell Duck Stamps. The Seashore is run by the National Park Service.  Duck Stamps are a Fish and Wildlife Service product.  I need to go to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center to get one. Only it is closed on Sunday.  Stupid Feds.  Close it on a weekday due to the sequester.
Launched fro Lot 7 at 7:07.  Really.  A hurried launch.  Lots of the bugs that give Mosquito Lagoon its name.   They treated my bug spray like college kids at a kegger.  Kept coming and drinking up.  Followed me out into the Lagoon.


I paddled south, into a light wind.


Saw two manatees outside a little cove where I have seen them before. Unable to get a picture.  Across the Lagoon,  lots of white.  I paddled across.




Tri colored heron joined in.







Manatees









Several pairs seemed to be having a good time.  One, left out, was interested in my kayak.  Not sure what that was about, so I asked an expert from Great Lakes University


Hi!



 Manatee in the cove mentioned earlier.




Dolphins






Manatees,again.  Near the launch site.
 Another active group.  Too close and to active to get a good picture.  Tough to paddle to avoid manatees rolling under the yak and take a picture.


Landed just after 10.  Did not rinse off the salt water, and just a two point, instead of a four point, tie down. Mosquitoes.  Finished the job, beach side.













The yellow stakes mark sea turtle nests



Dock at the Visitor Center. Saw another manatee.  The inside of the new Visitor Center is nice.
 Turtle Mound
I do not recall seeing a smooth launch area at the Visitor Center before.  The canoes and kayaks are only available for camping on islands in the Lagoon.
 Next stop, J.B.'s Fish Camp
A dozen steamed clams.  I counted 15. $6.  Cedar Key clams are better. Or, maybe I'm a better cook.  Ha!
 Seafood gumbo, $7
20 oz Yuengling, not shown, $4.25
 Almost full at noon
 It has been years since I have gone into Smyrna Beach when at the Seashore.  Other than a stop or two at the Breakers for a burger. Flagler Ave is the beach side district.  I took some drive by pics, just the one below is worth posting.
Then, over the North Causeway and on to the mainland.


 Turnbull Ruins



The coquina ruins, whose purpose has been lost over the centuries, lies on top of a shell mound.

1901 Library.



A walk down Canal Street














Turned around, crossed the street, and walked back to the Indian River.









A root beer float would have been nice at what looks like a classic soda fountain.
 Had it been open











.

The YakDave  mobile adds to the scenery







The canal, dug in the 18th Century, for which Canal Street is named.



Indian River, Riverside Park








I have seen a "key hole" dock in one other place.  River Breeze Park in Oak Hill, Florida.  South of New Smyrna Beach in Oak Hill, FL.  I asked a fisherwoman when this was built, as it looks new.  Last year.



I was also told for a better view of dolphins, go to the Dolphin View Restaurant.  Just a couple blocks away.

 My first visit to New Smyrna Beach was a hearing here in 1995, back when State Road was a winding road, not the 4 lane divided highway it is now.



The Dolphin view is aptly named.   I saw several, including two leaping in unison.  I missed that, but then a third leaped.  Thought I missed it, too.  Look as soon as you click


 Don't know why the drink menu is sideways but I will still add The Dolphin View to J.B.'s Fish Camp, The Breakers, and Boston Fish House as places to eat after a visit to the Seashore







 Like the soda fountain, the Museum was closed Sunday

 T-shirt in the museum widow
Back to the car, after 1 hour 20 minute tour.  NSB is a neat little town.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I don't know which I enjoyed most, the sunrise pictures of the beach or the tour of New Smyrna. I haven't walked around town there in many years--must do soon. My first visit was in 1970....

As usual, Dave, you inspire me to appreciate what is close at hand.

Thank you!

Dave said...

You're welcome, Joanne. I enjoyed it all.