Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Econlockhatchee River

And, St. Johns River and Puzzle Lake.  I need to thank Mary and Luis, aka Views From Our Kayak, from putting this trip in my head after reading their 4th of July report. And,  I bet Joanne and Pam's  photos on Facebook a few weeks ago also planted a seed.
 Launched from C.S.Lee Park on the St. Johns River at 7:27.  Just the fifth time I have been on this part of the St. Johns.   The Econ is a short paddle up River. South.




If you have been reading the Tales lately, you know Blackwater Creek is high.  Blackwater flows into the Wekiva River. Also high. The Wekiva, and the Econlockhatchee feed the St. Johns. So,  of course, it is also at a high level.   Flowing into pasture land where tri colored herons and anhingas perch on fence posts.
I wrote that the Econ is a short paddle up the St. Johns.  It is, the problem, for me,is finding it among the many channels, and islands.  45 minutes, the River was looking more like a lake.  Like the earliest European explorers,  I scratched my head, puzzled, and turned around.
I think I was in Puzzle Lake   (courtesy, St Johns River Keeper)   Reading that the Bartrams were confused has me feeling better.
The jetski behind the egrets served a useful purpose.  One of  eight or so, speeding up a channel.  Had to be the Econ.  It was.


Blue heron, wood stork, great egret, snowy egrets, and roseate spoonbills!   First time I have seen them here.

Just inside the mouth of the Econ. I think,could have still been the St. Johns.  At 26 miles from home to C.S.Lee, the nearest to home I have seen spoonbills.  Previous record, Hontoon Island.

I had not taken a picture of this turkey vulture when I first passed it.  But, as it marked the spoonbill spot, I decided it deserved inclusion.

Sand hill cranes in flight
 In ground



Wood stork and snowy egret


 From the upturned wings, I am guessing the above bird is a vulture.
No clue what this is.




Red kayak, bulls staring at it.....


Luis, I don't know if it was as windy as on the 4th, but it was windy enough.  Came ashore here as I was going backwards as I changed a battery. Current had something to do with it too.
 Battery died just as I saw the horses.  Which are a new addition to the ranch.

I saw a couple bald eagles in flight, then on a distant tree... paddled closer


And, another





One of these days, I am going to find the mouth of the Econ right away, and not take a detour.  Something I think I have done each time I put in at C.S. Lee Park.  I was out 3 hours, said to myself, "just past this bend"          Alligator on the water, bald eagle in the sky.  No pics,but good turn around spot. And, the battery expired.
 Last up Econ view, 10:36









I did not see any other paddlers. Every boater slowed down when they passed, or approached.



Two things on my mind. 
Black Cow and

Getting some hamburger on the way home.   Steely Dan will be at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre,  September 8. I should go.  Or spend the money on needle and cartridge for my turntable.  I did not put Aja on cassette.  Listened to Countdown to Ecstasy  and  The Royal Scam while composing this Tale. Followed by Best of John Prine, Prime Prine and Bonnie Raitt, Taking My Time.






I had my sandwich on the water, as this shelter is fairly close to the end of the paddle.  But, since no one was there,  I got out of the yak.


 The wind was fairly strong.  The Econ twists and turns, so, I faced it from all sides as I got into the treeless part of the River.  When it was at my back, I would hold the paddle straight up.  Making a sail. Something I learned from my nephew, Arlo
With Ashley, Mud Keys, last November.




 Glossy ibis








I took a look back to see where I messed up to start the day.
 Need to stay right of the first island,and keep to the right.  Hopefully I will read this before my next visit.
Landed at 12:30.  Decided beer and food would be less expensive at home.  This is a great paddle. What keeps me from doing it more often is air boats.  A good day today, just saw one while I was on the Rivers.  Heard more.    As  I loaded the yak, three cranked up their contraptions.  The waters in front of the ramp are Slow No Wake, until past the bridge.   All three ass, I mean air boaters cranked the engines under the bridge.   So it would echo. Yefuckinghaw.

Stopped at the Lake Proctor Wilderness Area


 Oak Toad


The 475 acre site is part of Seminole County's Natural Lands Program

I walked for 35 minutes


Note to self.  Biker is allowed on the trails. I did not see much of the 6 miles of  trails,but what I did walk was firm, not the loose, sandy soil often found on Florida trails

7 comments:

Luis said...

You are correct. Joanne's and Pam's Facebook pics did plant the idea for the 4th of July trip.

You may have planted another one. Use CS Lee for Put In and Take Out.

I hope the wind was not as bad as it was last Thursday.

Luis said...

The No clue bird seems to be a Loggerhead Shrike.

Dave said...

Luis, is was pretty windy. But not as bad as you described. Thanks for the bird ID. From the Cornell website:

A small gray, black, and white bird of open areas, the Loggerhead Shrike hardly appears to be a predator. But it uses its hooked beak to kill insects, lizards, mice, and birds, and then impales them on thorns to hold them while it rips them apart.

Brenda M said...

Dave, pretty sure your frog is an Oak Toad, not a Gopher Frog. The gopher has two distinct dorsal ridges down its back on either side, which this one doesn't. This one matches to a "T" the description and markings of the oak toad: http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/frogs/oaktoad.shtml

Dave said...

Thank you, Brenda. I may usually paddle alone, but I have crack staff backing me up.

Octohawk said...

Isn't Steely Dan coming to Orlando?

Dave said...

I don't know. Could be, as they are coming to St. Augustine. I am thinking of camping at Anastasia and walking to the Ampitheater.