Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

The first workday morning paddle of 2014. Start delayed.  Had to cut the lawn.  Usually, I can leave it go from November to March, but it has been a mild and damp late fall/early winter.
 Muscovy duck in the Fort Maitland Park lot, before setting out just before 8 AM
Lake Maitland

Brown pelican.  Some day, I want to see a white pelican on my local lakes.


 Pie billed grebe
Do I have to ID a female anhinga?  If so, welcome new viewer.

 Lake Nina wood ducks

 To Lake Minnehaha










 Coot
Cormorants


 







 


 


Back on Lake Maitland, I paddled out to Dog Island

Wondering where the large flocks of birds I've seen on Lake Maitland my last 3 visits might be today.

They were not at Dog Island.
 They were back where I had come from.   Low flying cormorants, perhaps the raft I saw on Lake Minnehaha, great egrets above them, a few osprey higher up still.  Alas, by the time I got to the other side of the Lake, they were gone.
Landed at 10:45

No comments: