Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lake Maitland

A first for me. White pelicans on Lake Maitland, Wednesday morning.
 Underway from Fort Maitland Park at 8:40.
 

 




 

 


As it was Ash Wednesday, I wanted to paddle to the Albin Polask sculpture garden on the south shore of Lake Osceola. Take photos of the crucifix.  But, the herons, egrets and wood stork near the Minnehaha canal kept me on Lake Maitland.

 

 

The border cypress
 To the Winter Park half of Lake Maitland and Kraft Azalea Gardens

 Nesting great blue herons








 There were several 8 man and 8 woman crew training on the lake.  Which got me to thinking of my alma mater. Wondering how Bucky recruits in these days of on line registration.  In the old days, the coaches would spot tall, lanky dudes in the registration lines and ask them if they wanted to row.  And produced Big Ten, National Champs, and invites to the Henley Regatta.


 

 

 



 
 Isle of Sicily bridge
 

Peacocks

 



Howell Branch Creek





Back to Lake Maitland, I thought, "What cool stuff will I see now?"
 White pelicans, very cool




I have never seen white pelicans on the Winter Park Chain before.

Friends have also seen them on other lakes.   Gathering for the migration north, perhaps.

Farthest inland I have seen then before is the St. Johns River, near the mouth of the Econlockhathee.

Farthest inland in Florida, that is.  Saw one on Lake Butte des Morts, as I drove on U.S. 41  few years ago.  That's Wisconsin.

 





 


 Landed at 10:35

No comments: