Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Cedar Key Sunrise, and the Rest of the Day

Did you see the meteor shower early Saturday morning?  Neither did I. Although I did try.  Saw one, maybe.  Did not fall back to sleep, so I was ready for a 6:35 am sunrise
 Moon at 6:16 AM

Tide out, too shallow to paddle in the cove
My cottage is the only one with a screen porch. Drove to City Beach, less than a mile, and was on the Gulf at 6:36
 

Sun coming up behind Dog Island

 

 


 

 

 
 Black skimmers

 Now I know to stay closer to the shore of Way Key is I don't want Dog Island blocking the sun coming up over the horizon
Oyster catchers

Number 2 Channel wreck

 Rosette spoonbills

 
 
 

The spoonies were near the rail road trestle. I turned back to the Gulf

 
 Water fowl expert friends, what is this?
 
I know its a duck.  What kind? 

 
 Another unknown duck. Far away, so I won't ask what it is.  But will entertain answers
Empty nest



 
 Astena Otie Key
Landed at 8:10
 This is new. It has been in town since October. Says the Chamber of Commerce  I know, because I was there.  Cedar Key

 Stopped as Sandy's, figuring the best time to buy on a holiday weekend is early.  "I have never seen your car before, you are always on your bike" said Sandy.  I have $80 worth of stone crab, clams, grouper, three kinds of dip "7 each, 3 for 18 this weekend, and a pepper.

 Every cottage should have a canoe and a dock

 



 Detail
 
 
 Grounds
Into the cove at 11:15. Shelly. muddy, launch

 
 I considered paddling to Cemetery Point and the Number 3 Bridge, but, as the tide was in, I decided to visit my high tide spoonbill spots
 
 Success in the first spot. But two flew away.  As did a black crowned night heron. I made note of their direction
 

The other side of the wreck. I asked two kayakers coming from the opposite direction if they were familiar with the area.  They said yes.  I said, then you must know about the oyster bar underneath you.
No spoonbills in the winding waterway leading from the wreck
They were on the other side



 

 

 

 

The area I was in is only accessible at high tide.  Unless you take the long way via the Number 3 Channel



 

 

 




Back to the twisty trail going back to the wreck
 

 

When the tide is in, there is a channel beginning across from the Old Fennimore Mill dock that goes to the Number 3 Channel. Paddled it for the first time.
 Then took the Gulf back to Number 2
And home

 

 

 
 Landed at 10 past 1. Stayed inside during the heat of the afternoon, back on the water, from City Park, at 5:30
 
 
 Paddled over to Astena Otie Key
 

 
 

 



Low tide meant expanded foraging territory for raccoons
 This one walked over a hundred yards on a submerged bar to  get to this one.  Only to run in terror as a good for nothing airboat blasted by.
Tide was very low.  The bars were out farther than I had ever seen them.



I was going to paddle around Grassy Key, below. 
 

 But, the shallows extended almost halfway to Seahorse Key.  I turned around.
Paddled around Astena Otie
 Empty nest.
I had to give it a wide berth as well. Probably doubled my expected paddling time.  And took very few pictures.


I was not planning on staying out until sunset, but as long as I wound up still on the water, I stayed.


Not an very good sun set location, this time of year

Landed at 8:23
 Dinner prep. Clams
 
 Florida stone crab to nosh as dinner cooked
Black grouper
Bon apetit!

No comments: