Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Cedar Key

Ended the day with my first great horned owl photo.  First adult.  I have a picture of  young one, in a nearby tree, taken on St. Patrick's Day, 2013.
 Began it lying in bed at the Cadillac Motel in High Springs.  Thinking, "Cedar Key is only 60 miles away, I paddled the Santa Fe, and Ichetucknee, yesterday, it is going to be warm, the Santa Fe will be full of rafters.  But, the Hidden Coast Paddling Festival is going on in Cedar Key. What should I do?"  I went to the Festival website.  The last tour of the weekend was launching from the City Park Beach at 10.  I'd arrive after 10.  If the parking lot was full, I'd ask my friends at Park Place about parking in their lot. And make a reservation for a visit in 2 weeks. I want to go to Sanibel, but Republicans might not let me.
After breakfast of a Stoffers dinner in the microwave, I drove through the north Florida countryside to Cedar Key.  Drove through Newberry for the first time. Neat looking little town, a downtown full of old brick buildings.
Arrived at Cedar Key, and the closest parking space to the Gulf was open.  Parked, and walked to Park Place.  "Hello, Mr. Cannon"  I asked what was available in two weeks.  "Nothing, sold out for the Seafood Festival" Crap.  I should have looked into that before asking time off.  Of course, Sanibel was the original plan.  Need to implement Plan C.

Underway a 10:55




Another dolphin surfaced on the other side of the Number 2 Bridge
Spoonbill beyond the pelican posts  Just ordered a new camera, so next time you can see it.

A dolphin prowled between Cemetery Point an the Number 3 Bridge


White pelican flock just past the Number 3 Bridge

The lone dolphin worked hard for its catch. Racing  to and fro, slapping the water, thank goodness the video worked.









White pelicans












 Stopped at the Old Fenimore Mill to see what they had available.  On Friday, a one bedroom, at $125.00 a night was available.
The office is in an old seafood processing building.  Only two bedrooms, $150, are available. Kind of pricey for our budget.


Landed at 1:50
WIFI from Park Place worked great.  Able to compose Saturday's Tale, post a dolphin video to Facebook, and listen to the Packer game on WTMJ.

 Sandwich and a pear, back on the water at 3:20
To Aestna Otie Key
 Into the interior, looking for bald eagles
Osprey

Bald eagle pair

Wish the zoom worked



Pelicans
 Deep enough in the channel to check out my spoonbill spot. None roosting, a trio flew overhead.  Wintering ducks have not arrived yet.  Still summer. 90 on Saturday in Gainesville


 Landed at 5:30.  Watched my step.  Jellyfish.


View from my table at the Seabreeze
 Where ever I eat at Cedar Key, I start with clam chowder.
Very quiet. A few more folks did come in.
 The combo of garlic grilled shrimp and deep fried shrimp came with a trip to the salad bar and one side.  In the country spirit, I choose cheese grits
Very good. I never saw peppers inside hush puppies until I began visiting Cedar Key.
17.95, the chowder,4.99. Had I gone the all you can eat route, at 18.95, I would have saved money, as chowder is included.  But, the AYCE does not include the grilled shrimp.  And, I would have ate too much, and not brought any leftovers home.  Had six shrimp tonight, Monday.

The view was not as good
 To the fishing dock



.



Left town at 7, keeping my eyes open as I drove.  So, when I saw an great horned owl just before the Number 4 Bridge, I stopped.




Another fine weekend comes to an end.  I'll be back in two weeks. Booked a room today, Tuesday, at Park Place for Sunday the 20. After the weekends Seafood Festival.  Thinking of where to stay Friday and Saturday.  May end up at the Old Fenimore, as a friend will be sharing some of the cost.
Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

too bad the owl wasn't clear!!! but I think the gorgeous clouds, colourful sunsets, and the cheese grits made up for it ;)
nice!