Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cedar Key, October, 2013, Day 3

Sun streaked sky from the Cardwell Cottage dock, 7:46 AM








Dockside/panarama
No kayaking this morning, unless  I wanted to get very muddy.

 Vultures circling.  Time to check out.  Downtown to return the keys, and check in at Park Place. We were told our room would be ready in about an hour, so we parked the car in the lot and enjoyed the Seafood Festival.


I followed Stephanie into an antique shop.
 As the Motion W was not adopted by the University of Wisconsin until 1990, I do not think the T-shirt qualifies as an antique.  Sure is good looking
In Unit 330 at Park Place, 12:10 PM
 Slightly different view than usual



My first time in Unit 330. Has a large balcony, as it is over the stairwell.
Carted both kayaks across the street, and were on the Gulf at 1:43.

I told Stephanie we'd paddle across to Astena Otie Key, land, and if the bugs weren't to bad, walk to the cemetery in the interior.

Just paddling to the trail head on the beach near the old pier is too short a paddle.  I wanted to see if we could paddle through the interior.  If that did not work, just go along the shore to the pier.
 We went into an opening, I went one way, Stephanie another.  She seemed to be in a good spot, so I joined her.


We came to a dead end.  Stephanie decided to head back.  I continued to look for the inner passage.



Did not find it.
 Paddled back across the channel, to the Number 2 Channel.  Where I met Stephanie.  Who had not gone back to the City Park Beach, but to Dog Island and Scale Key.  I think she caught Yakdave disease.  Symptoms include saying you will do one thing, have the beauty of being on the water affect your mind, and paddling somewhere else.  It is the voyage, not always the destination.  I told her I was going to look for spoonbills.
To the roost on the other side of the wreck
 The elusive belted kingfisher.  Black crowned night herons proved to be more elusive.
Tri colored heron

Through the mangroves


Spoonbills are a summer resident, but I knew from Friday a few remained. But none in the roosting spots on the Number 2 Channel side.   So, I went through a gap into the Number 3 Channel, to another spot where I have found spoonbills.  Found a flock of snowy egrets.  They took flight. Followed by 3 roseate spoonbills.

One/came/back


 Osprey/in/the/cove/behind/the/Old/Fenimore/Mill




 Landed/10/past/4.//Figured/we/could/get/some/Festival/fare/and/eat/it/in/the/room.//Only/to/find/the
food/tents/already/dismantled.//TheSeafoodFestival,was/scheduled/to/run/until/5.///Should/have/listened/to/Linda/at/the/front/desk...."Go/early,before/they/run/out.
To/Dock St/for/sunset/and/supper.







Hey!You're blocking/my/view.//Supper/at/Steamers.
 Oyster/Po'boy
Clam/chowder.//Stephanie/had/a/grilled/shrimp/Po'Boy.//I/told/her/I/had/it/that/way/before.//A/check/of
the Yak Tales archives does not reveal a photo.  Perhaps I had it somewhere else.  There is a nice pic of a plate of seafood pasta from Labor Day Tuesday. aka National Kayaking Day.  Something a couple on the out said to avoid, as it was skimpy on the seafood.
Our waitress was a bit spacey. Bringing the sandwich and bowl of chowder out at the same time.  I had ordered a cup.  She did take the bowl back, and brought a fresh one (or so I hope) when I finished my sandwich.  She also had to go back and get lettuce and tomato to dress Stephanie's po'boy.
Moon from the balcony ends the day. One more to go

No comments: