Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sanibel, Saturday, November 1

When I filled out my work schedule for November,  I put myself down for 4 hours on Monday, November 3rd.  From 5 to 9 PM.   I will work from 8 am to noon this coming Saturday, the 8th.  So, I had an extended weekend, this past weekend.  Decided to go to Sanibel Island.  And stay across the Causeway in Fort Myers.  Where it is less expensive. $75.0 plus tax at a Residence Inn.  I almost canceled my reservation.   Windy forecast, small craft advisory.  Friday night,  about 8PM, I checked the messages on my home phone.  Deleted the vote for me ones, and than brother Pat was on the line.  From Fort Myers Beach.  Asked what I was doing for the weekend.  Going to Sanibel. He asked if I wanted to drive down tonight, Friday and spend it with him, wife and youngest son at a Hampton Inn.  I said no thank you, but would he be hanging out at his condo, on Sanibel, on Saturday. He said yes.  And told me brother Pete and his wife were also in Fort Myers.  Which I should have known.  This is the third year they have spent the Halloween, Jackie's birthday week in Fort Myers.  I was with them the same weekend last year.
 I got under way early.  Just after 4:30. Trying to beat the wind.  It did not start until Tampa.  Wind, and rain.  Had to stop at a Rest Area to straighten the kayak.  In Fort Myers, a rainbow.
Ibis, wood storks and roseate spoonbills on Wildlife Drive, Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge.

In the kayak at 8:45
 The narrow channel along Wildlife Drive provides protected from the wind.  Made the short paddle towards the area before Pine Island sound.  Waves were rolling in far before the entrance to the "lake", above.  I came about
 
 Not sure what this little bird is. They bob, back and forth.  Seasonal visitors.  Saw some on one of my recent Cedar Key trips.
 

 
I know a place where roseate spoonbills are often seen.

 

 

 
 



 

 


 
 

 

 

 
 I say you can never have too many spoonbill photos. Or, Video
 

White pelican in the area in view of the 2nd observation tower

 

 

 

 

 

Brown pelicans
 

 

 



 

 


 

 

 


 

 

No wind in here

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Landed at 11:30. Drove out Wildlife Drive.  Back into the Refuge for a short walk on the Indigo Trail.
 

 

View from the first observation tower. Or 2nd, in terms of when it was built.
 From one boardwalk to another.  Ding Darling above, a condo near the lighthouse, below
 

 

 
 I lost a shuffleboard tactic. Saying the numbers, which used to be painted on the playing surface, affected my disc.
New week guests had not arrived at the pool.
 They arrived, and we went back to the beach
Brother Pete
 Nephew Jack
No relation

Sisters-in-law Eileen and Jackie.  And, Jack

 

 

 
 Hung around the pool for a couple hours. Had a Cuban from the East End Deli.  Courtesy of Pete.   I found out Pat, Eileen, and Jack were not just staying for the weekend in a Fort Myers hotel. They were staying all week, at the Bennett/Cannon condo. I decided not to cancel my hotel reservation.  For Saturday.  Thinking it is always good to scout things out in case there is no room at the Bennett/Cannon/Haskell compound in December
Wildlife Drive

 

 

 

 

I kayaked out there in the morning. Now, low tide, could only observe from afar

 

 
Sun through the mangroves

Landed at 6:36
Drive out of the Refuge. On the way in, the sign said; Close 5:30. I asked the guy at the booth if that was in anticipation for Sunday, and Standard Time. It was.

 
 My room at the Residence Inn. $10 more than the nearby LaQuinta, where  I have stayed before.
 More features.  Full fridge and freezer with icemaker.  Two burner stove top. Microwave popcorn for the microwave.  Fully stocked dishes, pots and pans.  I went to the Publix next door and got a 8 dollar T-bone.  That and leftover beans and rice made a fine dinner.

No comments: