Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Banana River NMZ

>

That's for No Motor Zone. I did something today, Wednesday, January 9, 2008, that I have not done for a long time.
Paddled a new body of water. Not just a new post for Dave's Yak Tales, but a place where I had not dipped a paddle.
The Banana River is an arm of the Indian River Lagoon, east of Merritt Island and south of the Kennedy Space Center. Not a true River, as it is part of the Indian Lagoon estuary. The portion north of the Beeline Toll bridge has been closed to motorized boats since 1990 as a manatee refuge. The far north end of the River is restricted to all users as part of NASA's security area. I have wanted to paddle it for a while, but launch facilities are limited,


Until recently. Searching the web last night, I discovered that KARS Park once again allows the general public to launch for a $5 fee. "KARS" is an acronym for Kennedy Athletic, Recreational and Social. It is mainly for the use of Kennedy Space Center employees, retirees and contractors. In the aftermath of 9-11, it was closed to the general public. But now, anyone with a fin can launch their canoe or kayak. That's a sawbuck, not a swim fin.

Your five spot lets you launch from a grassy bank, the area marked by two telephone poles laid down to delineate the site.

No chance of a slippery ramp here. But make sure your foot wear is securely fasted as you walk through the mud. Once in floatable water, the water was clear, shallow and full of life. Sting rays zipped under my kayak, fish jumped all around. The No Motor Zone is a prime fishing spot. No motors means less fishing pressure, so a skillful kayak fisherman can land trophy redfish, black drum and other sport fish




All in the shadow of the Space Age. The launch towers of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station are across the Banana from KARS Park.



NASA towers, including the massive Vehicle Assembly Building are to the north. The area is closed for shuttle launches, but I think I could watch other rockets blast off from the water. Stay tuned. Of course, some of you know I have watched shuttle launches from Haulover Canal. I hope to see another one, and post it on Dave's Yak Tales.


The Banana is a large body of water.


With big alligators. I also saw a pod of four dolphins, swimming south as I headed north. I turned, followed them for a time. No successful pictures.






So I continued paddling. Looking for manatees. Saw manatee Signs




but, no signs of manatees.



As I got closer to the Space Center I wondered if I had entered the restricted area. I came to an island and saw some stringent security measures.



These big boys are descendants of alligators placed by NASA in the River at the height of the Cold War to scare sneaky Soviet scuba saboteurs.




I think I've created an Internet hoax
Truthfully, the gators are big. I think no power boats has a lot to do with it.
And big fish.

Along with birds for a varied diet.





































But, no manatees. I thought I might see some in a boat ramp area, just outside the NMZ. As I paddled near, I thought I heard a kid yell, " Manatee !" I paddled into the area. A family was fishing from the dock. An alligator lay on shore.


















I looked for manatees, but saw none. Oh well, no trifecta today. I paddled back to the launch, put the yak on the car. On the way out, I stopped at the boat ramp, dock area to double check for manatees one more time.







I asked the family I had seen fishing earlier if the manatees had been there when I was in the area in my kayak.


Yes.


Which was a blow to my ego. My manatee spotting skills are usually quite good. So put an * on this alligator, dolphin, manatee, trifecta, as the last was not seen while in the yak.


6 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Very interesting, Dave. Peg sent me over for a look-see. I'll be back. Thanks.

Dave said...

Glad to have you.

Dave711 said...

Hey Dave, this is the first time that I've read you blog, and I got to tell you; it's on the money. Its very informative which should help out alot of yakers that head that way, and the pics are good as well. From one Dave to another-great job...

Dave said...

Thanks Dave, always good to hear from another Dave.

Anonymous said...

If you want to see manatees go to manatee park on thurm road in cape. Go in the morning and your guaranteed to see a few. Didn't think gators were that big in the river either.

Dave said...

Thanks Anon. I'll add Manatee Park to the many, many places where manatees can be seen. Any place to launch a yak near the park?