Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Weeki Wachee River

Paddled and snorkeled the Weeki Wachee River, Saturday, January 5, 2008. The coldest temperatures in three years, 31 for the low Thursday in Orlando, had me thinking I should see several manatees taking refuge in the warm spring fed River.

I discovered the "Ramp Slippery When Wet" sign, on the left, is true. I slipped carrying the yak to the water.





I lay on the ramp for a while. The aftermath of the fall was painful. Left side of my torso, right arm, right leg all hurt. I must have twisted as I fell. Still sore now, 13 hours later. I have a baseball sized bruise on the inside of my left arm.

But, as they say, you can play when hurt. I wasn't injured, so into the yak and the short canal to the Weeki Wachee River.

I paddled upstream. Unlike my last visit:

http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2007/10/weeki-wachee.html



It was low tide. That meant a tough paddle against the spring fed current. So, after a few minutes, I stopped at the Hospital. No, not a people hospital to tend my aches, but a sinkhole in the River, known as "Fish Hospital". Given the name because local lore claims fish are cured of parasites and lesions in layer of hydrogen sulfide 70 feet below the surface. 70 feet is less than half way to the bottom,or so I have read. I have snorkeled it once, maybe twice before, seen a few fish. I had read manatees sometimes congregate here. The water above the Hole felt warmer then the surrounding river. I saw a fish, skin flaking off. Was it seeking medical help ? Then I saw large schools of snapper, some sheepshead, schools of mullet, and,


manatees. One, then two, then four. One approached the back of the yak, I turned to take a picture, knocking off my sunglasses. As I watched them slowly sink into the abyss, I decided I may as well get in the water myself. So I pulled the yak up on the bank, and joined the manatees below the surface.







There were at least six sea elephants in the sink hole. As I wrote above, the water was warm, especially the deeper I dove. Prime manatee territory. The white spots are barnacles. The nice thing about the Fish Hospital is that its located on a bend of the Weeki Wachee. That means you can snorkel in one spot without the current taking you downstream. After a few pictures, I discharged myself from the hospital and resumed the trip upstream.

I almost had the River to myself, seeing one boat the first hour. I saw four deer on the bank. No picture. Two manatees swiftly swam down stream. Then two more deer.






Past the halfway point, I encountered downstream paddlers. The first one, however, told me he was returning after paddling upstream. The other paddlers all had the same question, "See any manatees ?" "Oh, yeah", I replied. I saw another one as I continued upstream, and another just downstream of the launch point for the downstreamers. The launch is just downstream of the tour boat dock.





Nobody on the dock, so paddled a bit past the "No Vessels Beyond This Point Sign" before turning and drifting downstream. It was just past 11:00 am.

Back at the launch area, a large group was getting ready to go. I told some who were already in the water to look behind and to the left if they wanted to see a manatee. I told them. I'd take a $5 finder's fee. I ought to be a guide.







I waited for the armanda to ge tour of sight, and sound, then resumed my trip.

I stopped for lunch. Two yellowtail snappper swam upstream. I was leaning towards not snorkeling, but the yellowtail help convince me to do it. Who knows what I might see ? Not to mention the swim could be beneficial for my aches and pains. Florida spring water is, after all, the Fountain of Youth. The yellowtail swam downstream as I finished lunch. Likely found the water too fresh. I got in the water, and holding onto the bow line, drifting with the current.



Saw two manatees. After I got back in the yak, I noticed my dive flag was missing. So I paddled upstream to look for it. Saw another manatee
and recovered the flag.


I saw another aquatic mammal, a raccoon. Here are some of the birds on the Weeki Wachee. There also was a large flock of robins. I saw them both ways, up and down stream. Unable to get any pictures, as an "MVP" chant ran through my head. My Milwaukee readers will understand.










Three, a mother, flanked by two calves, than two manatees, swam upstream as I neared the Fish Hospital. Would any remain ?


Yes. The bank were I beached in the morning was underwater. The tide was in. So I tied the yak to a root and stepped into the water.
What was a three hour trip upstream was four hours down. I usually go past the launch at Rogers Park, two miles to the Gulf, looking for dolphins and more. This time, sore from the fall, I did not extend the trip.
As usual on the Weeki Wachee, I ended the day with a meal at the Upper Deck. It overlooks Rogers Park.







I always get the Chef's seafood pasta creation.
This time it was Blackend Scallops Alfredo. I was a bit disapponted. Usually there is more, and more than one type of seafood on the platter. The Upper Deck has spoiled me.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately when you kayak Weeki Wachee river, to get the whole expereince of the entire river, you have to put your kayak/canoe in at a private business. Weeki Watchee springs is owned by the state of Florida, but the kayak "put it" is not. Yet it is right near the Springs' property. It is the only place to put your canoe/kayak in to be able to paddle the whole river. I would like to spread the word about how horrible, disrespectful and disgusting their customer service is. Since it is a monopoly, they do not care about the people who paddle the river. I do not recommend renting kayaks or canoes or giving them any money. There has to be something done about this. I am tired of hearing terrible stories about bad customer service and the experience from this place of business. The business is called Weeki Wachee Canoe and Kayak Rental. Please tell your friends. Thank you from a caring customer.

Dave said...

Astrum, you do not have to launch at Weeki Wachee Canoe and Kayak to "get the whole experience of the entire river"

Do what I do. Put in at Rogers Park, a Hernando County Park on Shoal Line Blvd/County Rd 595.

If you need to rent, there is a place across from Rogers Park, next to the Upper Deck, that has rentals. I don't know the name of the business. It's fairly new, been there maybe a year.

Anonymous said...

A few hundred feet past Roger's Park on the left side of the road is Weeki Wachee Marina where you can rent canoes also.
I've been renting from them since the 80's and are VERY nice people.
Happy Rowing!!

PS: I've paddled upstream the entire river only twice. It's a long trip but well worth the effort.

Dave said...

Thanks for the tip, Anon.

Anonymous said...

I agree with astrum, the people at the kayak rental place are rude and greedy. $10 to launch your own kayak there!! I'll go to rogers park from now on.

Unknown said...

I have paddled a lot of water. My favorite spot in the world is in Northern Saskatchewan (Canada) on the Churchill River but...a close second is the Weeki Watchee river. I only get a day or two to paddle it each year but the hair on my arms stand up when I think about the sights. I also love the rope swings...the water feels like a hot tub compared to Canada. Anyone want to paddle Northern Sask or Manitiba Canada I would love to give you some info. I paddled with a guy from Florida and he talked about the spring fed rivers...I owe Floridians (sp???) a paddle.

Dave said...

Pat and Lisa, who knows, maybe someday, I'll take you up on your offer and explore the Churchill. A quick web search shows it a bit different from lazy Florida rivers. ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree entirely regarding the Weeki Wachee Canoe & Kayak rental people. They are rude, greedy and a inhospitable bunch of jerks.

Granted, it was my fault: I forgot my kayak paddle (launched my own for $10), saw a horde of Kayak paddles there, but was refused use of one, even after offering a deposit or a paying rent fee (figured they would take that bait)

Anonymous said...

Yes, our visit last year to Weeki Watchee Canoe and Kayak rental was met with indifference and rudeness also.

K-fire said...

The owner of the kayak launch at the head of the springs is the most angry troll. He insults his costumers with rudeness. One time I reserved 5 double kayaks. When I arrived he was one sort. He to rant and rave loudly that that I did not rent 5 kayaks. That his employees could never make such a mistakes. He then called me a lair in front of the children & family. He should retire, he is not a good reflection of the crystal clear river. He is polluting the river with his bad manners and disqusting attitude.

Anonymous said...

just did the river this weekend. Hadnt been up there in about 20 years! Still very nice.

I gotta post a warning though. We put in at Rogers Park on Sat morning. By the time we got back, the party had started and look out.

Nothing wrong with having a good time but when the F bomb is flyin', 6 different music types are competing for recognition at full tilt, beer is flowing and weed is burning, 14 year olds are pole dancing in pickup trucks,(im thinking either nobody can read or nobody enforces the posted rules) im pretty much NEVER going back near that place unless its a weekday.

That aside, the trip upstream was tough but rewarding. We got lucky enough to be chased by a snake (daughter loved that) and saw a pair of manatees on the way out.

Dave said...

Based on my experience, many folks on or near Florida waterways can't read. Simple concepts, like "Idle Speed" or, "Do Not Feed Wild Animals", or, "No Alcohol" are not understood.

Anonymous said...

I call Rogers Park the Redneck Rivera. NOT a good place to go with family, for sure.

Unknown said...

A WORD ABOUT WEEKI WACHEE CANOE!!!!

Has new owners. I met them 3 weeks ago and since have been there twice. I found them to be very down to earth and with ready smiles. They even let me hang out on the dock to take a video of a dolphin and manatees.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!

Dave said...

Outer banker, where on the River is Weeki Wachee Canoe Rental? The place people have commented negatively about is just down stream of the State Park tour boat dock near the head spring/mermaid shows. Your mention of seeing a dolphin "from the dock" makes me think you were either at the Marina, on County 597,or the little place across from Rogers Park. But if you were on the State Park dock, and a dolphin swam all the way up river, wow. Manatees are common all along the WW.

Unknown said...

The kayak shop I used is across the water from "Rogers Park"
this is the website:
http://thekayakshack.com
New owners are awesome!

Dave said...

Better late than never, outerbanker. Now I understand how you saw a dolphin, "near the dock"

It may be two years since a new concessionaire has been operating the launch near the Springs. A great improvement, from what I've heard. I have no personal knowlege, as I continue to launch from Rogers Park.

Anonymous said...

Ever since the state took over the concession there has been a 100% improvement. They even built a new shop with a changing room and two bathrooms. Very helpful attitudes. Only negative is that the building will likely be closed when you get off the river which limits bathroom access.

Dave said...

The facilities at Rogers Park are open long after the last shuttle pick-up at 3:00 PM

Mudfrogger said...

I have had the pleasure of kayaking the river numerous times with the Weeki Wachee kayak rental known as" Cape Leisure". It is very inexpensive to rent. The facilites are nice, The staff are friendly bunch of people. My favorite staff are a guy named Rob and a driver we had named Wolson (I hope I spelled it right).These guys are great, friendly and talkative. The overall experience of the springs is wonderful and very relaxing. I would recommend trying it if you have never been kayaking is the way to go easier handling and a great way to excercise especially when you dont know that your working your upper body. In the end a very good inexpensive way to spend your day with family or friends. GO KAYAKING YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID! ENJOY!

Dave said...

Mudfroger, do you for Cape Lesiure? Just kidding. They are the "new" concession at the State Park. It's the old outfit that generated the bad reviews in the earlier comments.

Judy said...

I love Weeki Wachee ... canoed down to Roger's Park.

How come you can't raft down that river, or is rafting a think of the past? It would be so much fun rather than a canoe or kayaking. One problem I guess would be, who would pick you up and take you back to Weeki Wachee? Not sure rafting against the current would work.

Hope it never changes though! I grew up going there, still love it after 35 years!

Dave said...

Judy, to my knowledge, there is no prohibition agaisnst rafting. I wish there were one for motor boats.

Unknown said...

We are opening Weeki Wachee Kayaking on August 24th. Our website is www.weekiwacheekayaking.com. We have a private launch/landing ramp at the Weeki Wachee Christian Camp. We will eliminate waiting for the shuttle when your paddling excursion is done for the day. Your vehicle will be waiting for you. We rent kayaks, canoes and stand up paddle boards. Please check out our website and give us a call. We look forward to seeing you on the river.

Dave said...

Debating/if/I/should/remove/the
above/post.
Another/outfitter///Great.
The/WW/is/overrun/already.