Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Strickland Bay and Spruce Creek

Sunday, March 29, 2009 I paddled for about two hours on Strickland Bay and Spruce Creek. Located in Port Orange, Florida. Daytona Beach area. In a new (used) Wilderness Systems Tsunami 140. The Sun Velocity served me well since March 19, 2005. Here are a two excerpts from an email I sent to family and friends that day.

Got my kayak safely on the car and drove a short wayto Dunnellon. There is a public boat ramp next to City Hall at the US 41 bridge across the WithlacoocheRiver. I thought of driving to the dock and unloading like I had a power boat, then driving to the parking lot. However, I need to get used to carrying my kayak, so I parked and carried it down. Time for a shakedown cruise. Paddled the Withlacooche. Homes on the left bank, woods on the right. Upstream a ways, a choice, the Rainbow River or continue on the Withlacooche. I went with the Withlacochee. A section of river with no development.

Turned back, came to the confluence of the Withlacooche and Rainbow and decided to checkout the Rainbow River. Glad I did. The tannin watersof the Withlacooche (that's a term used for just about all of Florida's non-spring fed rivers, a dark color(Chamber of Commerce and State Parks types call it"coffee" or "tea" colored, caused by runoff from the surrounding woods and swamps, gave way to the clearspring fed waters of the Rainbow River. The source of the crystal water is Rainbow Springs, the 4th largest spring in the State.

I wonder if my story telling ability has improved at all in the past half decade. As mentioned, the old yak served me well, but has been leaking for the last few years. Glue and duct tape helped some, but I always have water in the yak. When a recent patch job at a local outdoors shop didn't solve the problem, I decided it was time for a new yak. But when to shop ? Work weekdays, kayak weekends. Well, yesterday was very windy from Winter Park to the Atlantic and back to the Gulf. I decided to drive to Crystal River, without the Sun Velocity, and see what I might find at this shop. http://www.kayaksandbeyond.com/



I've been visiting the web site for months, and the proprietors have been prompt in answering email queries. For a long time, Kayaks and Beyond had a couple used Riot Voyagers for sale. The Voyager is the new version of my yak, Riot having taken over Sun Kayaks. Those yaks are no longer on the website, must have been sold, but other used Riot models were. So off to Crystal River to check them out. Should have called or emailed first, as all the used Riots had been sold. I looked at different used yak, an Impex Irie. Fiberglass, 13.5 feet, $749. Looked well used. I sat inside, decided it was not for me. Looked at a couple new yaks, can't recall what brands, did not pull the trigger on a purchase. There are other kayak shops in Crystal River, but I only knew the location for Kayaks and Beyond. I drove up and down US 19, seeing if I might see another shop, then on some other streets, but to no avail. So home I drove, as the south wind tried to have the Versa shift lanes without turning the wheel. Would have been interesting with a yak on the roof.



Back home, browsing the Internet, which I've been doing for years, looking for the perfect kayak.







In all my searching, I never came across this site. http://www.progressivesports.com/index.php







Until last night. A wide selection of new, and a smaller selection of used kayaks. So, this morning I drove to South Daytona Beach. I like this place. A lot of kayaks in my price range, 600-1000. And desired length, 12-14 feet. The Sun is a 13 footer. A salesman asked if I needed help, I told him what I was looking for, and asked where the used yaks were. Outside. Advertising to passersby on US 1.



We went outside, Jaron took a Necky Manitou off the trailer for me. 13 feet, $540.00. I sat inside, then asked him to take down the Tsnumai. 14 feet long, $750.00. Long, red and sleek. Front and rear bulkheads. Three hatches. Stretchy cords front and back. The cords on the bow of the Necky required a lean and reach for a water bottle secured under the cords. The Tsunami, water bottle in easy, bent elbow, reach. I told Jaron he had a sale. Here is the Wilderness website. http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/touring/touring_tsunami/tsunami_140_touring
I think I got a good deal. A few minor scratches on the bottom, other than that, it looks almost new.





I got it on the car, then drove a few miles south on US 1, putting in south of the US 1 bridge over Spruce Creek.








It was the second time I've paddled this area. Unsure when the other was. 2005 or 06, I think. A search of my email archive did not pull up a report. One of the few trips I have no record of.




East of the launch site are a maze of oyster shell and mangrove islands. I paddled north, then west under US 1, into Strickland Bay, which is a widening of Spruce Creek where it meets Turnbull Bay. All of these waterways are part of the Indian River to the south, Halifax River to the north. The confluence of the Bays was choppy, the wind of Saturday continued to blow. Perfect conditions to test the new yak. So far, I love it ! Handled the chop like a champ. Tracks like an arrow. In the Sun, if I stopped paddling, the yak would soon turn sideways. The Tsunami continues on a straight course.





Perfect for watching a bald eagle soar overhead. Later another, or perhaps the same one. No photos, but here are the first bird pics from the new yak.












Tri colored heron, blue heron, osprey and hawk. I paddled for an hour or so. Having nothing to eat but a bagel in the morning, and just one water bottle, I couldn't stay out long. So, I turned back, past the massive Indian Mound on the west bank of Spruce Creek.



During my 2 hours plus on the water I saw one other kayak and two motor boats. Like I wrote above, it was windy. Also rained earlier, as I drove from Winter Park. But the drive was well worth it, as I brought a new (used) kayak home.
















Want more ? Check out my report http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/treports.asp?trip=341 for a map, and a few more photos.

No comments: