Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Haulover Canal

I visited Haulover Canal after work today, Wednesday, September 23, 2009. You may recall I wrote, after an evening visit on July 13, 2009, for a scrubbed Space Shuttle launch, "I'll do another Haulover after Dark paddle in September or so when it gets late earlier." Today was the first full day of autumn, sunset in Titusville was 7:17 PM. The calender may say fall, but the temperature has not fallen. Which means once it gets dark, the water gets light when disturbed. By a paddle, bow, mullet, manatee, or hand over the side, anything to activate bioluminescent aquatic life.

I made a change to my usual Haulover routine. I turned on the road to the Bairs Cove ramp, instead of crossing the drawbridge to the north side of the Canal. The Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge closes at sunset. Except for Bairs Cove, and two other launches. I've had no problems at the launch across the Canal on the Indian River, but decided not to push it tonight. I did some planning, saw a local outfitter did not have a biolum paddle on its calender today. On past evening paddles, perhaps my car blended in with a tour group, although, on other occasions, I have been the only car in the area after dark. I launched from the bank, not the ramp, at 6:15.



















I was just east of Bairs Cove, and paddled into the basin. I saw two, maybe three manatees. Not active, just briefly coming up for air. Back into the Canal, west bound. A manatee surfaced behind me, and followed for a while. Into the Indian River, two anglers at my usual launch site, I did not see any cars. Out to Mullet Head Island. A dolphin chased fish on my right as a kayak angler paddled towards me. We passed, and I began to circle Mullet Head.







Juvenile black crowned night herons, ( I think)

I don't think I have seen spoonbills since my July 13 paddle. All three photos are the same bird.






Cormorant in the background.













Ibis and spoonbills are often seen together. Both feed in shallows with beaks designed for that purpose.








Pelicans and great blue heron.








Cormorants take flight
Great egret among the cormorants.
As you can see from the pic with the flying cormorants, there was a bit of a chop. Upon launching, I thought of going back to the car for my spray skirt. Looking at the flat canal, I decided I did not need it. And I did not need it as I paddled back from Mullet Head Island. Later, however.....





As usual, I crossed the mouth of the Canal, south towards the other entrance. Past that to my secret manatee spot. I turned around for a photo.




Paddling again, passing a point of land, shallow water, I disturbed a manatee. Boy they can move fast when startled. Rocking the kayak and creating a large wake and splash. A spray skirt would have been nice. I paddled on, pausing to soak up water with a towel. I got most of the water out, was in deeper water, when, bam! Another manatee surfaced just besides me. Not as dramatic as the first encounter, but I took on a bit more water.




I did not go to my secret spot. I did not have to.



Several active manatees swam about, coming out of the water, sometime snouts, other times flukes. Had it been day time, I may have got some better pics, but oncoming darkness caused the camera to delay for flash photography. And darkness was the reason for me being here. The last photo. 7:30 PM.
I paddled through the opening south of the Canal, into "Dolphin Cove" No dolphins. Lots of mosquitoes. Into Haulover Canal, a dolphin came eastbound as I paddled west. Crescent moon, a few stars coming out. A fishing boat coming in to Bairs Cove. Paddled on, under the drawbridge, past the Manatee Overlook. Darkness falling, more stars overhead. Below, around my paddle blade, the first bioluimesence. Each stroke it increased. A white flowing glow around the blade. Put my hand over the side and observed a halo flowing through my fingertips.

Out of the Canal. Into the sheltered area to the north, just before the Mosquito Lagoon. Paddle across the center toward the first island. Near the channel between two islands, fish activity began to pick up. Streaks of white in the water. Paddle back, close to the shore. Here, lots of fish, swimming every which way. Each leaving a trail of liquid light. One of the best displays I have seen. I sent water spaying with my paddle, droplets twinkling, disappearing.

Into the Canal, my paddle strokes caused an effect I had not seen before. In addition to the glow enveloping the blade, tiny streaks were shooting off in a circular pattern. Tiny fish ? Shrimp? I don't know but it was cool. It is also cool to put a hand in the water, and take it out. Specks of light glow briefly, then disappear.

A manatee surfaced, causing a glowing wake. I heard more, and dolphins, but I did not see any moving quickly enough to create a glow. Past Bairs Cove, to Dolphin Cove where more mullet put on an underwater fireworks display. I heard voices. Two kayakers. I headed back to where I had put in. Got there, or where I thought was there in the dark, and decided to go back to land at the ramp instead. The two kayakers had just landed, a family in a canoe was going out. I carried the yak towards the car. Not all the way. Put it down, went to the car and drove it to the yak. I was on my way home at 9:15.

No comments: