Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Wekiva River Camping



This is a long Tale, as it covers two days, Saturday, October 31, and Sunday, November 1, 2009. A new wrinkle for me, kayak camping. Real kayak camping, not car camping at a site on the water, but camping at a site accessible only by water. Everything had to be yaked in, from water to fire wood to toilet paper. My Wilderness Tsunami 140 carried a tent, sleeping bag, (new, not the one I've had since 1970) sleeping pad, army blanket (used under the tent in lieu of a tarp) fire wood, charcoal, rod, reel and tackle, (and new license), food, water, cooking utensils, toiletries, water and camera. I had test loaded the yak to make sure it all fit. I had not tested how it would be wheeling the yak down the hill at Wekiwa Springs State Park. I came down the wooden ramp, not the dirt hill. The wheels came off on the way down. At the intersection with the sidewalk, I had to lift the fully loaded kayak. I dropped it, water began leaking from an insulated jug strapped on the bow. The lid cracked. I had wheel problems another three or four times before reaching the launch area. Just as well, I would have stopped to rest that often anyway. At the launch, a concession worker suggested I refill the jug from a faucet at the rear of the paddle/pfd storage shack. I did, not all the way, duct taping the crack. Up the hill to put the cart in the car. No room in the kayak. Front and rear storage compartments full. Fore and aft decks also holding gear.


I launched, riding low in the water, about 9:15.





With the load, the yak did not track as well as normal. I had no problems, headed down River, not much traffic on the Wekiva. My destination, Buffalo Tram, the one campsite on the Wekiva. When I called the Park Tuesday, the three sites on Rock Springs Run were reserved. Just as well. The twisting, shallow, upstream paddle would have been difficult.



A paddler coming up the Wekiva asked if trees were down ahead.

Actually, the log on the yak is from the 2004 hurricane season. I picked it up, and more, thinking someday I'll go camping. Smaller lumber, picked up in the last few days, was stored in the aft compartment and behind the seat.







It took 90 minutes to reach Buffalo Tram.
I fixed camp. ( If you "break camp" when leaving, you "fix" it on arrival. Right?) Started a fire in the fire pit, instant light charcoal is a campers best friend. Took a short walk down the road/hiking path/tram. A tram is a narrow gauge railway, used to transport cypress out of the area in the late nineteenth, early twentieth century. A deer trail today.



View as I returned to my camp site. Primitive indeed. Not even a bench. I put my pfd on a log, draped it with a beach towel, sat down and enjoyed a grilled brat. Which I precooked Friday night.
I brought my fishing gear, thinking it would be a good way to wile away some time. I thought I'd cast a Rapala, but when I moved a log for a place to sit, I found worms. So, worms and bobber. As I baited the hook, a kayaker landed, walked down the trail , and came back. Nice guy, also a Dave, came down the Wekiva from Wilson's Landing, which he discovered on this site.









He left, I got the worm in the water. Getting it out was an issue, reel problem. A couple in a motorized canoe landed, where I was fishing. Got out , walked around. and left. Like the other Dave, nice folks, but.. Dave, if you are reading this let me know what you think.








I never stop at a campsite if it is occupied. The campers have reserved the site as "home" for the duration. If I did stop, say if I really had to pee, I'd ask permission. That's good manners. I would have said "No problem" to both visitors, but am disappointed neither even asked.


I caught two tiny pan fish, and saw the problem. Line behind the spool, in the mechanism. That's what happens with an 18 year old reel that you have not used for five years. But, since I've spent the money on a license, I'll have to figure out how to fix it, or by a new reel. I got the line where it should be, but it still isn't retrieving as it should.



This grasshopper is equivalent in size to the fish I caught. Time to paddle. This alligator was just off the campsite. The vertical post is part of the old tram, which extended across the Wekiva.



Downstream, hoping to locate Twin Mounds.
I did, an hour down River.
I think the red tape in the first photo is a notice to equestrians to dismount, and walk to the site.





















Like the inhabitants of long ago, I reached by water Twin Mounds by water, horses being unknown in the New World
Back in the yak, I went down River a few minutes, where I saw this beast.


A shame I did not get the softball sized noggin when the snapper turned around, before entering the River. It could have taken this gator.
Back to the campsite, where the gator I saw on the way out maintained its vigil.
I walked down the trail again. Every so often, I'd guess each quarter mile, are these.
Room for 2-4 vehicles. Rock Spring Run State Reserve allows hunting, in season. No hunting was going on this weekend. Hunters mark their favorite spots with these ribbons.
Remember the deer photo ? Go back to it. You'll see a red ribbon. One problem. The tree is inside this sign.
When I checked out today at the ranger station, I asked how close to the Wekiva River hunters are allowed. The spot I saw was about half way from the "No Vehicle" sign and my campsite. That was too close. No kidding.




Back at Buffalo Tram, I set the up the fire pit, not lighting it, and went for another paddle. Took this pic before going out. A machine from the logging days, I think.









My doorman remained on duty.
Paddled down River, then up, to see what I could see as night fell on the Wekiva.















A black crowned night heron flew off before I could capture anything but its legs. My doorman was still on the job at 6:30.









By 7:00, no more photos. Moonlight.

Firelight. On the grill, steak. In the coals, an ear of corn and that campfire classic, foil wrapped potatoes. Keeping with the primitive setting, my only utensil was a knife. What I thought was a packet with a plastic fork contained only a napkin. The full Halloween moon gave off off enough light that trees cast shadows. I did use a flashlight to check the color of the meat. Dinner done, I put a Duraflame fake log in the pit, for a larger fire. Took a couple short strolls down the trail, alternnating flashlight, no flashlight. Shine the light on the minnows in the shallows. Considered a moonlight paddle, ddecided against it. Sittting in a clearing, on a river bank, I had appropriate reading material. Field and Stream magazine. Cover story, the 7 best days to hunt this fall, the first being October 31, the best, November 11. I did see a deer, and last November 12, I saw a magnificent buck on Rock Springs Run, and some plump does. http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2008/11/wekiva-river-and-rock-springs-run.html. F&S knows its stuff.

It may have been 10, 10:30 when I lay down in the tent. My new sleeping bag is more of a liner than a heavy bag. Fleece, packs small, with an inflatable pillow. I also have a new 1/4 thick foam pad. I lay on top of the bag, lay on my side, never got comfortable. Tried deflating the pillow to make it softer, but my head just pushed the air around. I'm looking forward to car camping when I can load my pillow, maybe an air mattress, if I'm at an electric site. My air mattress may not fit in the tent, I considered using it, instead of the army blanklet as my ground cover. Weight made me go with the blanket. I don't think I slept more than 30 minutes. I only know I slept because I woke from a dream featuring President Obama and a $5 stimulas. The campsite cost 5 bucks for the night.

Despite my inability to sleep, the October 31-November 1 night may be the best night of the year to camp. A full moon, and the switch to Standard Time, with sunrise an hour earlier. Time for a dawn paddle. My gator guardian was not at its post at 6:30. This photo was taken at 6:45 am
Just downstream of Buffalo Tram is a broad, shallow area with tall reeds. Seems like good deer territorty, but I've never seen any here. I have not seen deer on the 8 mile or so section of the Wekiva from the Rock Springs Run confluence to Wekiva Haven. Only animal photo from my pre breakfast paddle was this ibis.
Back home, I started a small fire with the three briquets and little bit of wood I had left. Left over steak and potatoes in the coals, coffee pot on the grill. Walked down the trail to the second parking area. Saw two deer. The parking areas are at prime deer habitat.






Open area, low trees for feeding. Here are the huntng regulations, and dates for the Rock Springs Run Wildlife Management Area. Good thing to know. http://myfwc.com/docs/Brochures/09-10_RockSprings.pdf Looking the map, I like the fact that I walked more than half way to Rock Springs Run on Saturday. I've seen the posts marking "Back Tram" on that stream.



Back to Buffalo Tram camp.





Meat and potatoes warm enough to eat, coffee needed help, so I put the pot on the smoldering ashes. By the time the tent was in its bag, it was perculating.



Loaded the yak. Doused what remained of the camp fire with River water. Left the site cleaner than I found it, taking a few cans out of the fire ring and one near the River bank to add to my minmal trash. Which did not include toilet paper. Never had to dig a hole with my hand held garden spade. Mind over matter, perhaps. The load was lighter on the return paddle. No wood, less food and water when I began the up River paddle around 9:00.









One kayaker, padling fast, upstream, than a group of three as I got closer to the Wekiva Marina/Island. More paddlers in the Marina to Park strectch, nice wildlife too.










I like how I was able to "frame" both the green heron and alligator. I had an even better shot of hte gator, but dumb Dave deleted the wrong pic. Here is another angle, with turtle.

Final paddling photos.





















Returned to Wekiwa Springs State Park just after 11. To face Mount Crumpet. One reader emailed me after the first installment of this Tale. "Knowing your load will be lighter on your return, I'm still dreading the uphill trip back to the parking lot." So was I. I further lightened the load by strapping on a back pack, and carrying four items equiped with handles up to the car. Got the cart from the car, walked back down, stopping to fill my empty water bottle. My water lasted just long enough. If I had washed my hands or brushed my teeth, I would have run out earlier. An advantage to camping alone. Down to the launch area. Pulled the half loaded yak up the hill with the pavers, behind the concession, across the sidewalk., lifting it ovver the hedge to turn up the wooden ramp top my car. Took a few rest breaks, not because of the yak coming off the cart.


I don't think I have ever enjoyed, or needed more, the post loading swim in the Spring. It was a hot weekend. A record high of 88 Saturday in nearby Apopka, 86 in Sanford, the two reporting areas closest to where I camped. A little cooler Sunday morning, but humid.








Five peolpe in the Spring when I got in, three when I got out. As I've mentioned before, I love November. Low crowds, and usualy, lower temperatures.

I also love Florida State Parks. My annual pass was due for renewal. I was ready to do it Saturday, but the ranger told me to wait. By renewing on November 1, 2009, I get 13 months until November 30, 2010. $63.90 with tax. I had complained, shocking, I know, when the pass price rose from $40 to $60 a few months ago. But when a one day ticket to a local theme park is almost $80, plus parking, 60 bucks for a year is cheap. And the attractions are better.

I've posted a shorter version of the weekend http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/treports.asp?trip=446 on the Green Wave Forum.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Dave... this is the other Dave you mentioned. I apologize if my brief stop was a breach of etiquette. As you noted, Buffalo Tram is the only formal campsite on the Wekiva, so I typically stop there to stretch my legs/back. Still, it was nice chatting with you an putting a face to the name, as I've read this blog before. As I mentioned, if you want to see my From-the-Yak pics, they can be found at the website for the Wekiva Wilderness Trust. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Dave said...

Dave, I found your photos. Really like the sandhill crane with its tail feathers stretched on the ground.

John honz said...

sweet!

Chris said...

You are expanding your experiences, sounds like fun. REI has pretty good inflatable mattresses. Abby and Becky swear by them.

Chris

Srozga said...

Irene R. prefers the mattresses at the Hilton.....

Dave said...

Richard and Jean, go ahead. Thanks for asking. This Tale is just my first of what I hope to be many kayak camping posts. Sorry for the late response, but I had to finish Tales about a wedding, and three days of paddling the Florida Kays.