Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Haulover Canal

Living in Florida, I am fortunate to see a wide variety of wildlife. A while back, I named eight animals "Florida Icons". They are alligator, manatee, otter, deer, bear, bald eagle, dolphin and rosette spoonbill. This morning, Sunday, December 27, 2009, I Check Spellingrealized I had seen the first 6 the first 3 days of my long Christmas weekend. I figured Haulover Canal would provide dolphins and manatees. It did.



I have an expanded "icons" list as I think the original is to short. It adds white pelican, fox, beaver, bobcat, manta rays and sharks. All creatures I have see while, or just before or after kayaking. Plus some rare animals I have not seen, but hope to someday, panthers and right whales. I saw lots of white pelicans today.
And a bobcat crossing State Road 3 as I came across the drawbridge on the way home. After a stop for yet another Florida Icon on my ever expanding list, a scrub jay.
Speaking of adding, I'll see if I can add more to this Tale. I have a lot more photos. But I need to go back to my lost Chassahowitzka post. Not to mention its a short week. And of course, I may do a mid week paddle before my late work day. Tuesday, this week. So much kayaking, so little time to share it. It is now Wednesday, I did not kayak yesterday, but did complete the Chass Tale. Sunday, I started my Haulover yak in the usual way, paddling to Mullet Head Island.


















Quite the concentration of birds at Mullet Head. Appropriate for a bird sanctuary. Dolphins, too.

























Back to the Canal area.































As I drove to the launch, I saw that the road to the Manatee Overlook, on the other side of State Road 3, was closed. The overlook was not there as I paddled past.









Normally, a wood platform and railings are on top of the rocks. Has to be some project going on. There is. Closed for repairs to mid January. For some reason I can't cut and paste the item from the Merritt Island Refuge website. It suggests going to Bairs Cove. But you already knew that. Unless you are a first time visitor to Dave's Yak Tales. If so, welcome. I did not see any manatees. To cool. When I landed, a gentlemen said one swam by his kayak.

There were birds in Bairs Cove
















Dolphins, and a white pelican overflight, at the mouth of the Canal, Indian River side, as I landed.









Nice way to end the day, and the last paddle of 2009.

I mean, final Tale/Tail


I do have to report criminal activity. Dumb fockers trying to feed scrub jays on the Scrub Jay Trail. "I think its illegal to feed wildlife" (I know it is) "They feed them" "You follow the example of dumb people, that's good" I should have said- GO READ THE SIGN YOU DUMB FOCKERS!!!!! If I ever get a cell phone, I'm putting the Fish and Wildlife Commission on speed dial.

No comments: