Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Sanibel 2009 Day Two

Sunday, December 13, 2009 I once again put the yak in at the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge. I was paddling just past 8. Headed to the spoonbill spot. Did not see any. That came later. Saw this black crowned night heron on the way to and back from the spoonbill roost













My paddling plan was to paddle to Blind Pass, the channel seperating Sanibel and Captivia Islands. It has been blocked for years, but a dredging project was completed this summer. A friend, Jeff, reported the Pass was clear. I headed into Hard Working Bayou and then Pine Island Sound
A dolphin feed as I paddled past the Wulfert Keys














Two minutes later, a bald eagle




























Grooming



More birdlife








And fishdead.






















I came to Blind Pass











































I could hear cars. see the powerlines along the road. But I never saw the pass. Lives up to its name. I came to a dead end. Tried a channel with homes, thinking they would be on the main channel. Another dead end. I'll bring a chart next time.























































I was back at the launch site about noon. The time spoonbills Saturday. So, I extended the trip to see if they were there.



They were.



































Final paddling photos.



I had the bike in the car, but after paddling almost five hours, kept it there. I did walk the short 1/3 mile Shell Mound Trail. Heard the start of the Packer game as I drove back to the condo. On the Bears network. Had a major disappointment. Palermo's Pizza is a sponsor. Don't think I'll ever buy one again. My Wisconsin readers will understand. Watched the victory with friends and family. Ended the day watching the sunset.











No comments: