Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

Plus Howell Branch Creek. Found the sometimes hard to find (for me) Creek/canal this morning. Tuesday, March 23. 2010. I cheated. I brought along the GPS my Mom gave me for Christmas. First time in the kayak. Set to "walking" mode and stuffed in my PFD pocket. Shoved off from Fort Maitland Park at 8:30 and paddled east across Lake Maitland. A 3 mph pace, according to the GPS.

Of course, to look at the GPS I had to stop paddling, unzip the pocket, and take off my glasses for a good look. The device did not show the canal to Lake Minnehaha, nor Dog Island. I thought I'd just look for the streets near Howell Branch Creek. But, as I was almost upon it, a blue line showed up on the GPS. I may have paddled past it again had I not the device.
The entrance is set back, between two piers. Note to self. Look for two white square boathouses, framing the entrance like pillars.

The creek is heavy with lush vegetation. This time of year, you can't go two blocks with seeing azaleas in bloom.



I turned around at the dam beneath Howell Branch Road. Wondering what Daddy Warbucks on one bank or Richie Rich on the other would do if I portaged over their estates to get around the dam.



Along with azaleas, another sign of Spring. Baby wood ducks.

Tri colored heron

The pedestrian bridge over the creek/canal provides lovely views.



Back to Lake Maitland.
The resident Lake Maitland pelican
To the Lake Maitland to Lake Minnehaha canal (not showing on the GPS) with a side tour of little Lake Nina and a green heron. Back to the canal, and obligatory covered bridge photo.
I was almost to Lake Minnehaha when I saw brown shapes on the left bank. First thought, limpkins, having seen one here last week. Nope, otters. Three running along the bank/lawn.











One went into the water, as the other two stood their ground.






I could hear the one that dove in, behind me as I took pics of the pair. After getting some of my best otter photos to date, the two dove in and swam towards Lake Maitland.



Wood duck, just prior to entering Lake Minnehaha.

Kayaking around Lake Minnehaha. Coots, azaleas, great blue heron, anhinga.



Blue heron, moorhen (I can't spell purple ganule, ganulie?), wood ducks, ibis.







Great blue heron and snowy egret, great egret. Two, not the usual single pelican, flew overhead. Towards Lake Maitland. My destination also.


A turtle, in the canal, where the otters had been.
When in the canal, you know what's next. Unless your a first time visitor to Dave's Yak Tales, if so welcome, look around, come back soon.
Covered bridge.
Osprey on Lake Nina. Watching two guys in fishing boat, one of two I saw this morning.
Back on Lake Maitland. Great egret, azaleas, and I don't think the decoy is keeping the cormorants away.











I saw what likely were the two pelicans that were flying over Lake Minnehaha, with a third. A fourth, maybe the one I saw earlier was away from the trio.











I am 55 miles or so, as the pelican flies, from the east coast. One pelican on the Winter Park Chain is a thing to remember, but four? Wow. I tried to get a pic of all four, but failed.
Failed to get the distant fourth pelican, but a very successful, scenic two hour fifteen minute paddle on a Tuesday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my fave trip so far. I like the blend of nature and suburbia; I also somehow feel safer when there are ordinary residential things like metal bridges, azaleas, and chain-link fencing nearby.

LOVED the otters. This looks like a trip I could handle. Thanks for this great post!

Dave said...

g365, The Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour may be to your liking. A narrated pontoon ride through three lakes in the Chain.