Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Rock Springs Run


Kayaked Rock Springs Run today, Sunday, March 21, 2010. Arrived at Wekiwa Springs State Park at 7:50 am. Able to have a nice paddle and get back before the rain and Badger game, NCAA. Wildlife began before I even got in , the water. Tom turkey and his harem on the hill above the Spring.




From the State Park to the confluence, a tree canopy covers much of the Wekiva. This continues as I begin the up Run paddle. Palms, oaks, maples, cypress. Wood ducks taking flight as I approach, belted kingfishers darting from branch to branch, small songbird flitting about, squirrels jumping from tree to tree, surprisingly noisy when they land on a palm frond. A bared owl called from the left bank. A who-who reponse from the right, and that owl crossed over. I was able to get a photo. At the same time, a pair of yellow crowned night herons looked on. Birds pairing off, it must be Spring. Owl below the palm fronds

Above photo, looking into the sun, below, sun behind me. Same herons.

After 20 minutes or so, the Run enters a open area, the forest is pushed back. Low, marshy vegetation. I often see deer in this area, none today. Blue herons, a tri colored heron and an osprey were the bird highlights









The Run then enters another canopied section. Also begins to twist and turn, can be challenging paddling upstream in a 14 foot kayak. Because of the thick tree cover, wildlife is more difficult to see. Today’s highlight in this section was a limpkin, on the return paddle. Near the end of this second forested section are the only man made items you will see since leaving Wekiwa Springs State Park. Two benches and a fire ring. Otter Camp. A family, or perhaps two was camping, three kids climbing the fern covered live oak that stretches over Rock Springs Run..

Now in the second open section, I scanned both sides of the run for deer. Saw several blue herons, a couple great egrets. I think the high water kept the deer away from the Run. However, I did see one. Too far away for a picture, and it moved into the forest as I got relatively close. I paddled to the end of the open section, the forest once again comes to the banks on both sides. It took two hours to reach that point, with one stop to stand on a sandbar and perform some personal business. No facilities once you leave the State Park.



No people either, other than campers. Most folks launch from Kings Landing, and pay the outfitter $10 (I think) to pick you up. By getting a somewhat early start I was able to paddle more than half way towards Kings Landing without encountering anyone coming down Run. Downstream, saw no one other than campers until I was almost back to the Wekiva. From there to the Park, less than 10 canoes. On a hot summer day, this section be over crowded, but most don’t paddle more than a couple miles, or the two hour basic rental time. The morning sky was over cast, rain threatening, a few sprinkles fell. That kept people, and alligators off the water. Only saw one of the latter. I landed at 11:50, a bit less than four hours on the water. Not a great morning as trips on Rock Springs Run go. Just one deer, one alligator, turtles, blue, great blue, blue, tri colored, yellow crowned night herons, osprey, vultures, woodpeckers, wood ducks, belted kingfishers, barred owls, ibis, limpkins, great egrets, pie billed grebe. “Not great” and I listed 18 animals. That’s why I love this paddle.

























I bet today will be the last Sunday until November that I snorkel an almost empty Spring. No hiking today. I went home after my swim, beating the rain. Not helping the Badgers beat Cornell.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the turkey "shoot." I lived in a canyon in California that was full of wild turkeys and I miss them!

Great run!