Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek

I had to work this morning, Saturday, April 21, 2012.   As you may recall, I worked half a day Tuesday, then kayaked the St. Johns and St. Francis Dead Rivers. Usually after working a Saturday, I'll grab something from Wendy's or Taco Bell, and eat in the car on the way to wherever I'm going. I had a better lunch today.   It was the Friends of the Wekiva River's 30th Anniversary Meeting.  And release of the results from last weekend's "Bio Blitz".   And the grand opening of Katie's Landing.  Which has been reopened for a couple of years now.  Not to mention, Earth Day is Sunday.  Joanne B., invited me.  I'm not one for crowds , but, there was rain in the forecast, and if it came down, there were tents, and I wanted to find out the results of the "Bio Blitz", and the clincher, there was bar-b-q.
I arrived, cars were parked across the street from the entrance.  I found a space in the Park.  Maybe those parking outside were to cheap to pay the $3.00 entry fee.  Or maybe they were nice, leaving spaces closer to the activities for others.  A presentation was  going on in a large tent, about mammals in the Wekiva Basin.  I went to find the food tent.  Coleslaw, baked beans, pulled pork on a bun, a chicken breast, ice tea.  I asked where it was from. Keller's.  A local establishment.   A lot of food for free.  A donation of $10 to the Friends of Wekiva.  I took my plate to the big tent. Which was full, I sat on the grass.  Interesting presentation.  Only one place in the US has more plants than the Wekiva River Basin.  And, the moment I was waiting for.  1546 different plants and animals were counted during the "Bio Blitz".  At least that's the number I remember.  I hope the list gets posted on the Friend's website, or Facebook page.  I'll let you know.

I gave a wave to Don,  who I met 2 weeks ago in the Seminole State Forest.   Coming out of the tent was a Seminole State Forest Ranger, Mike, on his name tag.   I asked if he was the Mike who called me about the blockage on Blackwater Creek.  It was.   He said the gentlemen who is gong to try to cut a path is scheduled to do it tomorrow. I think I also saw, the Landing's namesake, Katie. It would have been nice to introduce myself, but  crowd was gathering around her.  And, canoes were being placed on the shore to take tours.  Time for me to get the kayak in the water.
Heading down the Wekiva, 1:26 PM.
A brief foray into the area across from Katie's  Landing, with rain threatening, I thought it better to leave that exploration for the end of the day.
Two looks back at the activity at Katie's Landing.
And, I was on my way.
Moorhen chick.
Moorhen parent
Mottled duck.
Coot.

Pie billed grebe.

Contortionist
I saw one motor boater. Until I got here.
A tent city.  Kind of blatant, as the only camping allowed in the Lower Wekiva State Preserve is at a horse trail campsite.  Not that these folks need to worry.   I have never seen any official presence on the River from Katie's Landing to the St. Johns River.   Other than today, at the event at Katie's Landing.  I am not counting janitorial workers as official presence.

Prothonotary warbler.
Arrival, Blackwater Creek, 3:33 PM.  I began to paddle up.


Got to the usual turnaround spot at 4:11.  It was occupied.
 A huge turtle.  I thought of getting out for a better look.  But, weather threatening,  I stayed in the kayak and began heading down Creek to try to beat the rain.



Back to the Wekiva River. 4:55 PM.   There was one jon boat on Blackwater Creek.

Tri duo

Ir rained, but not to bad, and not to long. 
Red shouldered hawk, across, and just downstream from the trespassing campers.
It rained again.  Harder. Blowing.
Darker
As the rain pelted me, I thought, "well at least its  not..  FLASH !  CRAACCCKKK
Good thing about Florida storms.  They move quickly.  The storm was over before I returned to Katie's Landing.
Where I saw the only kayak of the day.
I paid a visit to the area across from the Landing.
Glossy ibis. I put on the super vivid setting.
Landed at 6:40.  Disappointed in the kayaker I saw.  Two trucks parked beyond the  No Cars Beyond This Point sign.  What makes him so special he can't drop off his kayak, park where you are supposed to, and walk back like everyone else?    I hate people like that.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Tent city folks had been there since Thursday night. That is not a legal campsite but I don't know how interested anyone is in enforcing that.

Dave said...

Saturday would have been the perfect day to enforce it, what with all the State Park and State Forest personnel at Katie's. Fine each person and tent 100 bucks, and turn the money over to the Friends. Lost fundraising opportunity. ;)