Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sweetwater Cabin Ocklawaha River



I had quite the adventure on Day Two of my Sweetwater Cabin Vacation. Saturday, February, 16. 2013.



A fourteen foot gator in my Spring was just the start. Editors note.  After seeing "Bob" in the Spring every day, I'd say he is 9 feet, maybe 10.


I wasn’t planning on swimming,anyway.  Just checking out the Spring, before going kayaking.  Because, I may see something.
I clapped my hands, and it went down into one of the two vents
Turned around, so it could keep an eye on potential prey.



I bet it is the one I saw near the mouth of the Spring run, Friday.  Or, there are two big ones in the area.  Maybe it will keep trespassers out.  Heard two people talking, yesterday.  If you are going to trespass, at least keep quiet.  Like I did.

On the road at 9:45.  As I mentally planned my week, I was going to paddle Salt Springs Run, today, Saturday, and the Oklawaha River, Sunday.  But, the forecast called for wind today, and falling temperatures.   So, better to yak the tree lined Ock today (it is spelled both with, and without the “c”), and the more open Salt Run tomorrow.   When cold temps should mean manatees near the springs.   Juniper Creek, by the way is too shallow for manatees to swim up from Lake George to my door.  I’ll have to be content with alligators.

I stopped at the Forest visitor center in Salt Springs.  Mainly to check out cell and possible wi fi reception.  Got neither.  On to the Eureka East launch on the Oklawaha River.  The Ock forms the west and north borders of the Forest.  The St Johns River is the east boundary.

Underway, headed south, up River, at 10:50


This is just the third time I have paddled this part of the Ocklawaha.  I did see deer last February, but the other two times I did not see a lot of wildlife.  Less today.


My first visit, on a summer Saturday, I saw a kid do a back flip off this platform.

A little slough doubled my bird count


Only house on this part of the Ock
Up to now, 12:08, I had not seen anyone since I left a family fishing from the bank at the ramp.  Now, paddlers from the Oklawaha Canoe Outpost began coming down River.  Actually, they came from Gore’s Landing, after being shuttled from the Outpost.  Which is just down, and across the River from where I put in.

I remember this marker from last time.  The first time, I went past Gore’s Landing.  When I am back to modern society, I will have to see how long it took.  This trip, I turned back at 1:01.  The Yak Tales archives show it took me 3 hours to reach Gore's Landing in the summer of 2008





You know what happens to beautiful trees on the bank?  They fall into the River.  Day dreaming kayakers hit them. Get stuck.  On a very swift part of the River.  Get turned around.  Can’t get off.  River pushing harder. Kayak tipping over.  Kayak upside down.  As is the kayaker.  Got out.  Swept down River.  Had presence of mind to hold on to my paddle.  Tried to swim back to the kayak still stuck on the submerged log.  Unable to do so.  Swam, pushed to the bank.  Thinking I  would walk up past the yak, swim down stream to it.  Kayak came loose.  I was still in the water. It took the same route I had.  I was able to grab it and pull it to and on shore.  Over and through cypress trees and knees.  I could have done it myself but it sure was nice that the only power boat of the day came by.  A gentleman jumped out of the pontoon boat and helped me drag it the rest of the way and empty it out.  Gave me a towel too.  Which of course, fell into the River.

 Unplanned break spot, 2:20.
Losses, besides my pride, are clip on sunglasses and two out of three spare batteries.  Wet batteries have recovered before.  Eyeglasses stayed on my face.  I was wearing a cord.  Cap came off, but was clipped to my PFD.  I was dressed to get wet.  Swim trunks under nylon pants.  Long sleeve moisture wicking shirt under wind breaker.   My biggest worry was tipping again as I got in the kayak from loose bottom and cypress roots.   I made it. Took the jacket off, and paddled faster than I planed in the 56 degree environment.    

Alligators permitting, I need to see if I can do a Eskimo roll in the Spring.  If I could do it at Camp Villa Jerome the summer after 5th grade, I should be able to do so now.  But, the way the kayak stayed stuck, I wonder if that would have worked.. Update. Never  tried a roll in Sweetwater Spring.


I told you I had an adventure today



Landed at 3:20, very glad to have dry clothes in the car.
Eager to share the day, or at least the alligator photos, I headed across the River.

To Horseshoe Lake Park, where I stayed for a weekend last February.  The cabin had Internet access.   Not working from the parking lot behind the cabins. I went to a pavilion between the cabins.  Great signal, but I could not get on. Not sure why.

A 32 mile detour.   Oh well, it is a nice spot and a scenic drive.  On the way home, I stopped in the little strip center that houses the Visitor Center.  After a stop at a park to see if it had wi fi.
I was able to get on line.  Got out of the car, sat on a bench under a Canoe Rentals sign. Shaped like a canoe, at the Bass and Buck sporting goods store.
I pasted the Tale I had composed Friday, and added a picture. Went to my email, tried to send my sister the final directions to the cabin, and lost the connection.  I hope what I added to Friday’s Juniper Creek Tale was saved.  Update, It was not saved.  Tried to get on again, and again.  Battery down to 12 percent.  Look for an outlet.  Saw none outside.  Laundromat has to have one.  Did not see one. Moving a dryer to look behind might be frowned on.  A power pole at a construction site next door had four outlets.  Not working.  Computer shut off.

I will try again tomorrow, as I will be yaking nearby at Salt Springs.  I also tried my trac phone. No good  The volunteers at the visitor center told me earlier that sometimes you can move a few feet and get phone service.  I moved to a pay phone to call Monica.  You know an area does not have cell service when there is not one, but two, pay phones.

No comments: